Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Is there is a way to recover files after a fresh install of the operating system?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 47 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Apr-2007, 12:29 AM #1
Is there is a way to recover files after a fresh install of the operating system?
Does anyone know if there is a way to recover files after a fresh install of the operating system?

I suffered a bad virus that disrupted my registry to the point where the computer was unusable. The only solution was a fresh re-install of XP.

One mistake that I made was that I forgot to save the e-mail address book and messages during my system overhaul. It never dawned on me to save my stored incoming and outgoing messages so I could quickly restore them later.

I also forgot several folders in my Program Files that contained the .exe files of third-party software that I installed on my computer.

Is it too late ... or is there actually a solution to recover these files after a fresh re-install of XP?

Thank you.

Chad
Member with 34 posts.

Experience: MS Support Professional
13-Apr-2007, 01:09 AM #2
what kind os re-install did you do ?
did you do a format clean install or did you install a new copy of windows without formatting the HDD ?
if you didnt format the hdd than the files will be still be there on the hdd you just have to search for them.
and form the program files folder the .exe files cant be copied. if you reintall os on the computer you will have to reinstall programs as well. manually copying program files will not make applications work.
address books are saved by the extension .pst in ms outlook. if you didnt format try searching the hdd with *.pst and than trying to import it
Computer Specs
Member with 47 posts.

13-Apr-2007, 03:23 AM #3
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate hearing from you.

The tech support at Dell was wonderful. They spent an hour-a-half today on troubleshooting a computer that was three years past its warranty. I am grateful for their help and it is this kind of customer support that makes me a loyal customer of their products.

The tech at Dell had me backup all of my files and an hour later I called back so they could assist me with re-installation of the original software from the CD-ROM's that came with the computer.

Because there was so much stress the past two days being cut off from customers (no access to email, the internet or files on the computer) its easy to understand that I missed a few files here in their in my mad rush to regain normalcy again.

In any case, I have had to re-install all of my original software which took the entire day today. In wasn't until 10 hours later that I realized that I missed all of the documents in "My Documents", a few software folders in my "Program Files" and most painful of all, the backup of my email address book and old messages. I also realized that I hadn't de-fragged the drive before the re-install, but it was so chaotic the past two days that these matters slipped past me.
Computer Specs
Member with 47 posts.

13-Apr-2007, 03:25 AM #4
By the way, I thought you might find this story interesting:

Most frustrating of all during this ordeal has been my encounter with Adobe. Two-and-a-half years ago, I upgraded Illustrator by purchasing a newer version of the software I'd previously been using. When I installed the new upgrade in September of 2005, which I downloaded directly from the Adobe site, I was required to register the software by providing the serial number of the original software and received a code (key) that allowed me to use the new software.

Anyhow, realizing that remnants of the outdated software were still present on my computer after the upgrade, I contacted Adobe to ask if I would encounter any problems if I deleted the old program from my computer. Adobe responded that I most certainly could delete the old program (called Illustrator 10.0). After all, I had no use for a software that was now four years outdated.

Because I downloaded the upgrade from the Adobe site, I simply logged into my account, found a link to the upgrade that I purchased and downloaded the CS2 upgrade a second time. However, when I went to install the program it asked for the serial number of my original software.

Realizing that I no longer had access to the old software [After all, why would I keep it? I had the new upgrade}, I contacted Adobe and they told me that because I no longer had the serial number of the original software (deleted after purchasing the upgrade), that they could not register the upgrade that I purchased from them in Sept of '05 .

According to Adobe I needed to keep the serial number of the original software, which I haven't used in two-and-a-half years. As such, they required me to purchase the software a second time.

It gets worse. With my upgrade now worthless, they informed me that I needed to purchase the full upgrade, costing me $400 more!

Does this seem right?

Even though my account shows that I paid for the software, I can't use it because I didn't save the serial number associated with the older version of the original.

All of this nonesense made me beg the question after I learned that another version of Illustrator has just been released: What if none of this mess with my computer had happened and I wanted to purchase an upgrade from my current CS2 to CS3 ... would I still need the serial number of the original Illustrator 10.0 (which predates CS2 by several years).

The answer was NO.

Why?

Because I'd already purchase the CS2 upgrade.

None of this makes any sense to me.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

13-Apr-2007, 04:44 AM #5
Try doing a search as stated before. In the search window, click on the all files and folders option then type *.pst in the search box. Then make sure you go into the advanced options and check the box to look in hidden and system folders...in fact check all three top boxes. May take a while but hopefully you will find the file you need to import.
Computer Specs
Member with 47 posts.

13-Apr-2007, 01:14 PM #6
Sorry, but I don't know what "formatting the HDD means".

Is there a process that you can refer to that can follow me through these steps? Searching is probably easy, but I think you mean something of greating complexity.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihelp
what kind os re-install did you do ?
did you do a format clean install or did you install a new copy of windows without formatting the HDD ?
if you didnt format the hdd than the files will be still be there on the hdd you just have to search for them.
and form the program files folder the .exe files cant be copied. if you reintall os on the computer you will have to reinstall programs as well. manually copying program files will not make applications work.
address books are saved by the extension .pst in ms outlook. if you didnt format try searching the hdd with *.pst and than trying to import it
Computer Specs
Member with 47 posts.

15-Apr-2007, 01:23 AM #7
What do you mean by type in a search? I use Google Desktop, which I had to reinstall, and nothing came up in the query.

Please tell me what you mean.
Member with 17,584 posts.

15-Apr-2007, 04:50 AM #8
haasc, at this stage we do not even know what email program you were using yherefore we do not know what files you should be looking for.

Was it Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora or ?

I understand the stress being cut off from customers, but that suggests you use the PC and have no backup policy in place. That is not a "good idea", as things do go wrong, hard drives also die without warning etc.

As to serial numbers, you really must keep copies of these to re-establish your "proof of ownership" of the licence.

If the files have been "deleted" in the process of reinstalling Windows every operation of the computer now diminishes the possibility of their recovery, as the area on the hard disk may get overwritten with new files.
Computer Specs
Member with 47 posts.

15-Apr-2007, 01:24 PM #9
You are absolutely right about the importance of backing up. My folder of archived emails slipped past me because it is located in a part of my hard drive that I don't know where it is located. Even after the re-install, I don't know where my archived folder is how to backup this file on my "F" drive. Perhaps you could help point me the way about where to find the archived folder and what it is called.

My OS is XP Home Edition, version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600. The version of MS Office Outlook that I am using is Outlook 2003 Standard Edition version 11.5608.5606.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Apr-2007, 01:35 PM #10
Just another question and I do feel for you. When you download and install software, don't you make a cd of it for safety sake as well as store the setup file on your hard drive? That should be your "Prime Directive" and that also gives you a place to write the serial number.
I also keep a separate folder in Outlook Express called serial Numbers for any sent to me ever and it is backed up hourly as is everything else to a second hard drive on every pc I own. That doesn't say I cannot and don't occasionally miss or screw something up, but that is far less likely.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!