Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

duplicate emails on OE

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 236 posts.

Experience: Beginner
13-Apr-2007, 10:40 AM #1
duplicate emails on OE
For a long time I receive duplicate copies of emails (with & without attachments) on Outlook Express. My ISP says that there is nothing in their webmail system causing duplicates; they checked several times and only one copy is transmitted to me. Must be in my system somewhere.
Also, sometimes when I forward an email with attachment the recipient gets 2 or more copies of the email. Could this be a related problem to my getting duplicate email copies?
I have a 1 year old DELL, Inspiron E-1505 Notebook with Windows Media Center 2005 XP, Trend Micro PC Cillin Anti-Virus, Ad Aware, Spybot, Spyware Detector, Max Registry Cleaner.
Does anyone have a solution(s)?? Frustrated John
Computer Specs
Member with 32,634 posts.

13-Apr-2007, 10:42 AM #2
That can happen if your Hotmail or IMAP account is the default mail account and OE is configured to both open directly to the Inbox (which downloads headers automatically) and check for new messages when starting (which also downloads headers automatically). To stop the duplicates, simply choose one option or the other, but not both. Click Tools | Options, then remove the check mark for When starting, go directly to my 'Inbox' folder OR the check mark for Send and receive messages at startup. If you already have duplicates showing, click Tools | Synchronize Account or Synchronize All.
Computer Specs
Member with 236 posts.

13-Apr-2007, 07:44 PM #3
BlackMirror: Thanks. I did have both items checked. I removed the check for, When starting go directly to my Inbox. In a few days I'll let you know if this solution stopped the duplicates. Again, Thanks. John
Computer Specs
Member with 236 posts.

14-Apr-2007, 10:41 PM #4
BlackMirror: No duplicates today so I guess your solution was the answer.
Thanks again. Happy...John
Computer Specs
Member with 32,634 posts.

15-Apr-2007, 03:15 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss396sub
BlackMirror: No duplicates today so I guess your solution was the answer.
Thanks again. Happy...John
My pleasure

please mark your problem solved by using thread tools in your first post
Computer Specs
Member with 236 posts.

27-Apr-2007, 09:44 PM #6
BlackMirror: Today, the duplicates just came back again. Unhappy John
Computer Specs
Member with 236 posts.

28-Apr-2007, 02:13 PM #7
This is mystifying! Yesterday my incoming emails were all duplicated BUT today there are no duplicates. Very strange. Do Gremlins inhabit computers?? John
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Apr-2007, 02:29 PM #8
Do you have other mail accounts elsewhere on the web that may transmit email back to your OExpress?

Try turning headers on in Outlook Express

To change the display of the preview pane

The preview pane lets you view message contents without opening the message in another window. To preview a message, click its title once. To open it in its own window, double-click the title.

You can position the preview pane either below the message list or beside it; you can choose to display or hide the message header; or you can hide the preview pane entirely.

On the View menu, click Layout.
In the Preview Pane area, select the options you want and then click OK.

You now should be able to find out where the messages are being sent from.

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

28-Apr-2007, 02:37 PM #9
Not sure about Outlook Express but this can happen in Outlook (not Express) if you have rules turned on that conflict with each other. If you have a rule that sends all Inbox email from "Corporate Communications" to the SPAM folder, and inadvertently have another rule that copies all SPAM folder email from "Corporate Communications" to the Inbox (well... you can guess what happens).
Computer Specs
Member with 236 posts.

28-Apr-2007, 09:16 PM #10
Ozrom1e & Frank4d: Thanks. No, I do not have any other mail accounts on the web.
No, I do not have ANY message rules...so there is no conflict. I have never changed the default preview pane settings. I use the preview pane most of the time to read emails.
Thanks for your comments. John
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,030 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Apr-2007, 09:44 AM #11
Hi John
Is this related to the Outbox problem you posted in Web and E-Mail and is the Outbox working properly now? If it is working, move everything you want out of the Inbox and do the same thing to the Inbox that you did with the Outbox.
Please mark the other thread solved and post back to this thread so us old folks don't get confused.
T.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!