Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows Hangs on Boot at XP logo screen

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: have successfully built my own high end computers
15-Apr-2007, 12:11 PM #1
Cool Windows Hangs on Boot at XP logo screen
Typically the problem is somewhat intermittent and happens on the first startup for the day. The hang is at the XP logo screen were the blue progress bar continually cycles. To solve the problem I press the reset and this takes me to selected start were I choose start in Safe Mode and then restart to normal. I then can restart any number of times during the day with no hanging.

I have removed the computer from its original location and thus from any and all external peripheral components, i.e. printers, scanners, copiers, sound system, game controllers, USB flash drives.

I relocated the computer and connected a new key board, mouse, monitor, sound system, and a modem cable for internet and the problem still occurs in the new location with all new or different external components.

I have read through several like posting on these forms, however, I have not found anything that is acting similar to what I am experiencing.

There are a couple options I am going to try that I found on the postings, the one in particular is the HD SATA cables, after that I have no options and will be looking for suggestions.

Any & all help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Apr-2007, 12:22 PM #2
Hi and welcome. Have you tried taking startup programs out of the picture....i.e. start, run, msconfig, enter, startup tab?

Uncheck one by one and try restarting to see if one of them is the issue.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: have successfully built my own high end computers
15-Apr-2007, 03:52 PM #3
AcaCandy

No I haven't tried that yet, however your advise is well taken and I will try that tomorrow morning. I will halve the listing each time until I can narrow it down and isolate the problem, if it is in a startup program I should find it.

Have a good day and thanks very much for your help, I will let you know how I make out.

Regards

16-Apr-2007, 10:53 AM #4
You're welcome Good luck.
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Oct-2007, 12:37 AM #5
hi engine-ear510291! i also have the same problem may i know what you did to solve it? did you already try what AcaCandy said to you

09-Oct-2007, 12:58 AM #6
Hi circuit24, welcome to TSG. Did you try what I suggested? Are you able to get into safe mode?

09-Oct-2007, 02:57 AM #7
hi AcaCandy!thanks for welcoming me here i already tried what you said on you previous post i only left my firewall, anti virus, the nwiz.exe/install and RUNDLL32.EXE (dunno what's the last two items are so i left them checked ) in my start up item.

every time i start my PC i here a clicking sound when it's already at the windows XP logo screen the after that my PC hangs/freezes so i always have to hit the restart button then it would prompt me if i'll start in safe mode, normal etc..i always choose normal mode though.

my technician wasn't able to fix it

what will i do next if i'll get into safe mode
Computer Specs
Member with 43 posts.

Experience: MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDBA
09-Oct-2007, 03:06 AM #8
Seems like a HDD issue to be honest, tried defrag in safe mode

09-Oct-2007, 03:25 AM #9
i know i'll sound stupid asking but how am i suppose to that do i have to run my system in safe mode

can't i defrag while running my system in normal mode

09-Oct-2007, 10:06 AM #10
i already tried defraging my HDD under safe mode i hope that would solve my problem..BTW thanks for the inputs here thank God found this site im learning loads about PC here

another one every time i start my PC after the logo of windows XP appears a blue screen appears next with writtings saying:
"checking file system on D:
the type of the file system is NTFS"

is it ok to disable that file system checking in safe mode?

Last edited by circuit24; 09-Oct-2007 at 10:12 AM..

09-Oct-2007, 12:47 PM #11
That isn't a start up item.

What are the other two startup items that you mentioned that you didn't uncheck?

Also, does the hard drive keep clicking? Do you have two hard drives? Is the operating system installed on drive D?

11-Oct-2007, 09:58 AM #12
went to my technician again and left my unit for a day so he could look on the problem fortunately he was able to fix it..it's a failing PSU he was kind enough not to charge service fee since it's a back job so i only paid the new PSU installed in my unit

thanks for helping me out here
Junior Member with 1 posts.

20-Jan-2008, 01:53 PM #13
Hangs on Boot at XP logo screen
This worked for me.
1. Boot into safe mode
2. Go to device manager
3. Go to display adapters and disable the device there
4. Reboot. Reinstall the diplay driver.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

21-Feb-2008, 05:17 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypinball View Post
This worked for me.
1. Boot into safe mode
2. Go to device manager
3. Go to display adapters and disable the device there
4. Reboot. Reinstall the diplay driver.
I've had the same problem as engine-ear510291. I tried skypinball's suggestion and disabled my sis 630/730 video adapter, but it didn't work for me When I rebooted, XP did it's usual hang at the logo screen with the blue bar moving haltingly across the screen until I manually restart. When I restart "normal" the second go round, it boots okay.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,748 posts.

Experience: What experience???
26-May-2008, 12:19 AM #15
I'm having a similar problem, except my laptop won't boot even in safe mode. It was working perfectly fine until last evening. I go out, come back and turn it on, it boots, gets to the Windows XP logo screen with the scrolling status bar and just froze there for like 10 minutes and then got to the loading your personal settings screen and hung there forever. After manually restarting it, it just hangs at the XP logo screen. I hit F8 and tried last known good configuration, same result. I tried safe mode, same result. I haven't installed any new software or hardware and haven't done any tweaking around. I have tried all night and it still won't boot. It's AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6 GHz, NVDIA, 512 MB, 80 GB SATA HDD, 6 month old laptop. I haven't had this problem before. Any help would be deeply appreciated. Thanks.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!