Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How do I update my BIOS?

(!)

Junior Member with 21 posts.

29-Apr-2007, 01:17 AM #1
How do I update my BIOS?
Okay, i have had my computer since early 2004, and its starting to run slow on games like Battlefield 2 (getting disconnected after loading) and other games, and i have been told that i should update my BIOS, but i havent the faintest clue on what that is, or how i can update it. Can anyone please explain this to me .
edit- I have a windows XP, and a dell dimension 4600, and im looking in my dxdiag, and it says i have Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A09
Dell computer corp. A09 2/20/2004
and my SMBIOS version is 2.3

Last edited by dew122; 29-Apr-2007 at 01:23 AM..
Member with 17,584 posts.

29-Apr-2007, 01:31 AM #2
Unless you are trying to fix a problem with hardware incompatibility and for which the motherboard maker / Dell have released a fix specifically relating to the issue, you should not flash the BIOS.

It is certainly not a "recreational activity", it is normally done only when a new Windows version or such things as RAID arrays need to be accommodated, or similar events.

If a BIOS flash goes bad (and sadly a reasonable % do) then often the motherboard can be economically unrepairable, which in a Dell system means a new specific Dell motherboard of exactkly the same model or the installed Windows version will not work, requiring a new copy.

A failed BIOS flash leads to a high expense in other words, so unless you have absolute evidence it is needed, don't go there!
Junior Member with 22 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Apr-2007, 01:56 AM #3
do updating bios solve ur problem?

go for updating bios only if ur sure that it will solve ur problem. Read the fixes provided in bios update at ur motherboard manufacturer site. If ur issue is present in what they had listed then go for updating bios

most of the motherboard drivers CD contains "bios updater"

alkos check thishttp://www.wimsbios.com/faq.jsp
Computer Specs
Member with 11,665 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Apr-2007, 10:58 AM #4
Here are the BIOS updates for the 4600.

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?...False&~ck=anav

Click on Dell Dimension System BIOS A10 then scroll down to Fixes and Enhancements and see if any fixes apply to you.

Then click on Dell Dimension System BIOS A12 then scroll down to Fixes and Enhancements and see if any fixes apply to you.

If anything in A10 or A12 apply to your problem, then flash the BIOS with A12. If nothing applies to your problem, then DON'T flash your BIOS.

If you need to flash your BIOS, the instructions are on the page.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!