Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Immediately Logs off ,Cant boot Safe mode, Cant Restore

(!)

Junior Member with 17 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-May-2007, 01:55 AM #1
Immediately Logs off ,Cant boot Safe mode, Cant Restore
My computer takes me straight too the blue login screen. When i try to login in it immediately logs off. I cant boot into safe mode or restore because when i reboot it takes me directly to the login screen. Can anyone help ?
Senior Member with 459 posts.

Experience: Where's the ANY key???
02-May-2007, 02:40 AM #2
can you get into safe mode with command prompt???? If you can you can do a system restore from there by doing

1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
315222 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/) A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP
2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.
3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

here is the MS site about it hope it helps

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

02-May-2007, 03:15 AM #3
ok , i figured it out, i couldnt see my safemode because my monitor was plugged up in the wrong slot i have a extra video card, and it was plugged in my factory graphics card . You would think it should show in both slots though.

ok now im trouble shooting this Immediately loggin off thing.

02-May-2007, 04:06 AM #4
ok now i boot into command prompt from my winxp cd . but doesnt my volume supose to be c:/ ? because it says A:/>. It need to be C because thats the drive where windows is right?

Last edited by xHitzx; 02-May-2007 at 10:54 AM..

02-May-2007, 11:05 AM #5
(i found out what i got to do , but i cant do it because when i boot command pompt from winxp cd, it says "A:/>". how do i get to my c drive"

Boot using your winxp cd.
Enter recovery console.
at the command prompt go to

C:/windows/system32

next type:
Dir *.exe

If you find, it, type

copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe

Exit and reboot normally. You should now be able to logon.

Run regedit

Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

In the right pane, you should see

C:\WINDOWS\System32\wsaupdater.exe,

Change it so that it reads:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe

That should solve the problem, if the malware was the one that caused the issue.

The scary thing is since more malware programs are inserting themselves into the winlogon key, this is going to be a moving target

02-May-2007, 03:13 PM #6
ok , so i had to create a recovery console boot disc to get to recovery console, because i guess my Winxp cd didnt provide recovery console. (i dont know ?).

Now that i am at recovery console, I type " cd C:\WINDOWS\System32" - Works fine

Next I type in "copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe" and it now says - "The system cannot find the file specified."

[I]i asume this is the last step before loging into windows and going into regedit and changin userinit to wsaupdater[/I]
Member with 7,486 posts.

02-May-2007, 05:13 PM #7
I take it you didn't use the quotation marks and just typed
copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe

The error you got makes it appear that userinit.exe itself is missing.

Let's see if you have a userinit.exe in the C:\windows\system32\dllcache folder.

If you do, then this command will copy it to system32. You'll get a message either way.
Code:
copy  C:\windows\system32\dllcache\userinit.exe  C:\windows\system32

After the message, if it says 1 file copied, see if you can get back into Windows now.

Although all this seems related to the untrained eye, userinit.exe missing, and not the registry key pointing to the wrong file, seems to be the problem. Although it might be more than one problem. Let's see if this works.

That old method you tried is long outdated. That infection generally is no longer common. And the utility which made the error which caused a bad reg value no longer creates this particular problem. But we'll see how you do.
Post back and good luck.
Member with 7,486 posts.

02-May-2007, 05:18 PM #8
PLUS:

IF you do get into Windows, DO NOT TOUCH THE REGISTRY! Just run hijackthis and let me see the log. I'd wager the registry entry is fine if you get in.

Post a hijackthis log please. Download and then extract Hijackthis.exe to a new folder. Do not run it from the zip the desktop or a temp folder.

Here's a link:
http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip

Do not remove anything using HijackThis. Save the log and then copy and paste the contents into your next reply here in this same topic. It lists many types of entries. Some are good, and others need to be removed. We will help you sort it out

02-May-2007, 05:24 PM #9
tried it , and still got " The system cannot find the file specified"
Member with 7,486 posts.

02-May-2007, 05:29 PM #10
You need to get a good working copy of userinit.exe into your system32 folder. And it has to be the correct version for your operating system.

First, let's see what you have there, if anything.

Try this command and see if you find a copy of the file:
Code:
dir /s  \userinit.exe

If no joy then let's see if there is one still packed:
Code:
dir /s  \userinit.ex_

02-May-2007, 05:52 PM #11
i burned a copy of userinit.exe to a cd from another computer, then tried to transport it to recovery console.

(Command e:/userinit.exe c:/windows/system32/userinit.exe) - it said, "The path or file specified is not valid."

Then i tried your commands - it said, "the parameter is not valid. try /? for help."

could it be that im not typing the correct commands?.. i type it exactly the way i see it
Member with 7,486 posts.

02-May-2007, 05:54 PM #12
Great. Try this one:

Code:
copy e:\userinit.exe  c:\windows\system32

02-May-2007, 06:02 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic1
Great. Try this one:

Code:
copy e:\userinit.exe  c:\windows\system32
didnt work , but (copy e:\userinit.exe_c:\windows\system32) gave me - "The system cannot find the file specified."

it seems that every command that works, gives me a message.thnx for taking the time to help me btw
Member with 7,486 posts.

02-May-2007, 06:06 PM #14
You're welcome. This is odd.

Are you sure that userinit.exe and not just a link to it is on the E: drive? Could you double check please? Do both systems have floppies? If so, try a floppy to do the transfer. Be sure the exe is there and not just a shortcut.

Can you find sol.exe in system32?

Dir C:\windows\system32\sol.exe

Does it list sol.exe?
Member with 7,486 posts.

02-May-2007, 06:10 PM #15
I take it you didn;t type this:
copy e:\userinit.exe_c:\windows\system32

You left out the _ and typed
copy e:\userinit.exe c:\windows\system32

Otherwise that would be the problem;
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!