Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Print spooler service is not running

(!)

Are you seeing an error similar to this: "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running." or maybe "Windows could not start the Print Spooler service on Local Computer." Is your list of printers gone or you get an error when trying to add a new one? Here are a few solutions that have worked for us:

Solution 1: PRINT SPOOLER BASICS

1. Start - Run - services.msc
  2. Find Print Spooler and make sure it's set to start Automatically and try to Start it.
  3. Check the Dependencies tab.
Read more: Print spooler service is not running (How To Fix)
Computer Specs
Member with 32,634 posts.

22-May-2007, 04:32 PM #16
This wouldnt happen to be a Lexmark printer by any chance
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Jun-2007, 05:05 PM #17
Liberty, i had the same problem and FIXED THE PROBLEM
1. Start>Run>Type"services.msc"
2. Under Services look for "LexBce Server">Properties>Under General Tab go to "Start up type" and select Automatic. (My problem was it was Disabled)>click ok
3. go down to "Print Spooler" verify that Startup Type is set to Automatic>then Start the Service Status.>click ok
4. Control Panels>Printers>add>voila!!!
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Jun-2007, 12:19 AM #18
Smile Fixed
Hi everyone,

I finally broke down and bought a new hard drive to start from scratch. I made backups of everything, and now I have a whole extra drive for backup AND I can print. The system seems to bootup and shutdown faster, so there may have been other problems as well.

By the way the printer is not a Lexmark.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Bye

A snail is purchasing an automobile, and he says to the salesman, “Can you put a big red S on the driver’s door?”
The salesman asks, “Why?”
The snail replies, “I always wanted to hear someone say, ‘look at that escargot!’”
Junior Member with 2 posts.

29-Jun-2007, 01:44 PM #19
You all are making this WAAAT Too Hard!!
I just resolved this issue for a client of mine. Here is the easiest way to resolve it.

1. Power off the printer
2. Click start, control panel, printers & faxes and delete the printer.
3. Re-install the printer with the original driver disc.

That's it! Problem resolved!

Scott
Computer Specs

Experience: Beginner
30-Jul-2007, 03:45 PM #20
Print Spooler problem
Windows XP; HP Pavilion a 1020n; HP Officejet 5610v All In One. Printer was working fine and then it stopped-no icon on the printer page of computer showing a printer was installed. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the printer as that usually corrects problems, but I could not reinstall the printer as I got an error message-"This service(Print Spooler) is stopped and needs to be running for this installation to continue. Click fix to have the installer start the service" There is a category listed of the service-"spooler, manufacturer Microsoft, version 0.0.0.0 "and the further message-All issues must be fixed before installation can continue. Clicking "fix" did not fix the problem.I e-mailed Microsoft, but no reply. I contacted HP and their "techs" suggested some things to try-still no correction of the problem. I tried some of the other solutions your members suggested (under Services ,data execution prevention-under the section "Turn on DEP"-tried to add "C:WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe" and got message "file not found. Please verify the correct file name was given". Under properties window of print spooler a message appeared-"configuration manager. A required entry in the registry is missing or an attempt to write to registry failed". Under service msc, where the print spooler is listed -there is no indication of status of started or stopped in the status area, just a blank space. When I select "start" to correct this issue, I get a message "could not start: Print Spooler service on local computer. Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified. "Basically the file is not found. This problem is over my head. I hope that I clarified the problem. Does something need to be downloaded to correct the problem or is it some other issue needing fixing? I would appreciate the help in finding a solution.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 27 posts.

30-Jul-2007, 04:28 PM #21
how do i get to system properties
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefTech
Hi Liberty, I also ran into this problem. I have found a solution but I was looking for more information about it and saw your post. It is related to XP's data execution prevention.
I have added the print spooler service to the excluded list and it has solved the problem.
I am currently looking to see if this will leave the PC's vulnerable.

Go to System Properties>Advanced
Select Performance>Settings
Select Data Execution Prevention
Select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select
Click Add
Paste this in to the file name box of the window that opens:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
Select Open
Select OK when you receive the warning
Select Apply

And you will be printing again. Good luck.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

30-Jul-2007, 04:35 PM #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenski
Windows XP; HP Pavilion a 1020n; HP Officejet 5610v All In One. Printer was working fine and then it stopped-no icon on the printer page of computer showing a printer was installed. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the printer as that usually corrects problems, but I could not reinstall the printer as I got an error message-"This service(Print Spooler) is stopped and needs to be running for this installation to continue. Click fix to have the installer start the service" There is a category listed of the service-"spooler, manufacturer Microsoft, version 0.0.0.0 "and the further message-All issues must be fixed before installation can continue. Clicking "fix" did not fix the problem.I e-mailed Microsoft, but no reply. I contacted HP and their "techs" suggested some things to try-still no correction of the problem. I tried some of the other solutions your members suggested (under Services ,data execution prevention-under the section "Turn on DEP"-tried to add "C:WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe" and got message "file not found. Please verify the correct file name was given". Under properties window of print spooler a message appeared-"configuration manager. A required entry in the registry is missing or an attempt to write to registry failed". Under service msc, where the print spooler is listed -there is no indication of status of started or stopped in the status area, just a blank space. When I select "start" to correct this issue, I get a message "could not start: Print Spooler service on local computer. Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified. "Basically the file is not found. This problem is over my head. I hope that I clarified the problem. Does something need to be downloaded to correct the problem or is it some other issue needing fixing? I would appreciate the help in finding a solution.
Hello, If you could post all of this in a new thread it would get worked on much faster since this thread has been marked solved and also it is extremely difficult to wotk on more than one problem/per/person/ in a thread, it is just to difficult to keep track of who what is for.

Thank you and looking forward to your post.

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

31-Jul-2007, 08:46 AM #23
Did you power try my solution listed above your post? It worked for me.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 27 posts.

31-Jul-2007, 12:13 PM #24
yep tryed it three times
Computer Specs

Experience: Intermediate
12-Feb-2008, 04:49 PM #25
print spooler problems
I had the problems mentioned above. Uninstalling and then reinstalling the printer software solved the problem, but it was a little trickly, because the "uninstall" from my program list wouldn't work. But when I put in the CD for the printer, I found the uninstall icon on the CD, and this uninstalled everything. I could then reinstall (with the printer off and disconnected from the computer), and then everything worked fine.
I spent about 5 hours on this. The worst (most complex and unneccessarily dangerous) advice I got was from Microsooft bulletins ( eg., (324757, 919750, and 810894). How strange that I have to rely on unpaid good samaritans; why can't Miicrosoft montier these sites and provide a reasonable summary of solutions?

Experience: point and click and that's it
20-Mar-2008, 12:51 AM #26
I just registered to say ponie2kool's post fixed my problem (was having the same damn thing happen) and THANKS A BUNCH!
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 12 posts.

Experience: 28 years' experience
23-Mar-2008, 09:06 PM #27
Smile Many thanks ChefTech
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefTech View Post
Hi Liberty, I also ran into this problem. I have found a solution but I was looking for more information about it and saw your post. It is related to XP's data execution prevention.
I have added the print spooler service to the excluded list and it has solved the problem.
I am currently looking to see if this will leave the PC's vulnerable.

Go to System Properties>Advanced
Select Performance>Settings
Select Data Execution Prevention
Select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select
Click Add
Paste this in to the file name box of the window that opens:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
Select Open
Select OK when you receive the warning
Select Apply

And you will be printing again. Good luck.
Hi ChefTech, my husband's computer advised "Printer Spooling . . ." and I could not sort out the problem. Then I "googled" it and found the above reply. It worked! So thanks very much.

WIBLEY

29-Aug-2008, 07:01 AM #28
I have a quite different situation. My laptop crashed due to some violation of programs and after it went back, I lost every driver for printer, even PDF printer. I tried to add a new printer but the message "the Print Spooler Service is not running" continue buzzing me. I type Services.msc in Run dialogbox, click to Start the print spooler service but it failed. A message appears that some dependencies services failed to start. Click the tab Dependencies, I have an overview of dependent services. To me the LexBse Server was off. I turn in on, and then I click Start for Print Spooler Service. And it works again! All the printer drivers come back, I do not need to install anything!

29-Dec-2009, 02:06 AM #29
Thumbs up thank you very much i had solved by run command
Quote:
Originally Posted by {{CS5}} View Post
Let me start with a quote.
The spooler stopping is almost always due to corrupted printer drivers.
Uninstall and reinstall the printer.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
http://www.coribright.com/windows

Also I assume that you have the printer networked to another PC? You have probably tried this but I will post anyway, in case;

>>>Start>Run>type NET STOP SPOOLER and press OK
>>>
>>> Start>Run>type NET START SPOOLER and press OK

If so...and no go...Did you instal the manufacturers software and drivers Before, or After you installed the printer physically, as you should always instal manufacturer drivers first to prevent windows from installing its own.
Also check out this thread...It appears to be an identical situation and a probable solution. http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
The thread gives detailed instructions on removing all printer drivers and starting clean.
Please post back here if it helps. Thank you.

Thank you very much.

This site really helped me million of thanks for the one who posted.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!