Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Print spooler service is not running

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-May-2007, 09:54 AM #1
Solved: Print spooler service is not running
I am running Windows XP, and I have not been able to print in over three weeks. The printer is directly connected with a USB cable. There are no printers listed. When I try to add a printer or print from most of my software the following error message pops up: "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running." I have started the print spooler service several times, but the Print Spooler service will not remain started. In Services the Status is blank and Startup Type is automatic. I have tried to install a new printer driver downloaded from the printer manufacturer website. I have not been able to find any viruses or spy ware. I can not do a system restore because I found no restore points before the problem appeared.

I have not been able to find this exact problem while browsing this site, and I would appreciate any help you could provide.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

02-May-2007, 10:31 AM #2
Hi Liberty, I also ran into this problem. I have found a solution but I was looking for more information about it and saw your post. It is related to XP's data execution prevention.
I have added the print spooler service to the excluded list and it has solved the problem.
I am currently looking to see if this will leave the PC's vulnerable.

Go to System Properties>Advanced
Select Performance>Settings
Select Data Execution Prevention
Select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select
Click Add
Paste this in to the file name box of the window that opens:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
Select Open
Select OK when you receive the warning
Select Apply

And you will be printing again. Good luck.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,929 posts.

02-May-2007, 10:34 AM #3
Go into Services, look at Print Spooler Properties and go to the Dependences tab. Make sure all the services in the top box are started. Some people have LexBce Server service which has to be started.
Computer Specs

02-May-2007, 11:18 AM #4
I tried this Data Execution Prevention procedure, but I still can not add a printer.
Computer Specs

02-May-2007, 11:19 AM #5
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) is the only Dependency service listed and it is started.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 20 posts.

Experience: Einstein
02-May-2007, 11:28 AM #6
Confirm. Service is Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefTech
Hi Liberty, I also ran into this problem. I have found a solution but I was looking for more information about it and saw your post. It is related to XP's data execution prevention.
I have added the print spooler service to the excluded list and it has solved the problem.
I am currently looking to see if this will leave the PC's vulnerable.

Go to System Properties>Advanced
Select Performance>Settings
Select Data Execution Prevention
Select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select
Click Add
Paste this in to the file name box of the window that opens:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
Select Open
Select OK when you receive the warning
Select Apply

And you will be printing again. Good luck.
Open run dialog and type Services.msc . I want you to visually confirm that the printspooler service is running in automatic mode and also make sure you UPnP services are also started. If you have no problems with other UPnP hardware installing though you can skip that step. unplug your printer and restart your computer. when restarted plug in printer and try again. Have you used this printer on WINXP before, as some (ALOT) of older printers are not compatible and have no valid drivers for WinXp.
Computer Specs

02-May-2007, 11:53 AM #7
I have to assume that by UPnP services you mean Universal Plug and Play Device Host, and it is set to Manual and is not started. I have never used this service that I know of. The Print spooler service is, as I said, Status: blank & Startup Type: Automatic. The printer worked for over five years with this computer, and it still works when connected to my other computer. If you did not notice in my original post, I downloaded the current driver from the printer manufacturer which was for Windows XP.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 20 posts.

Experience: Einstein
02-May-2007, 12:28 PM #8
Let me start with a quote.
The spooler stopping is almost always due to corrupted printer drivers.
Uninstall and reinstall the printer.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
http://www.coribright.com/windows

Also I assume that you have the printer networked to another PC? You have probably tried this but I will post anyway, in case;

>>>Start>Run>type NET STOP SPOOLER and press OK
>>>
>>> Start>Run>type NET START SPOOLER and press OK

If so...and no go...Did you instal the manufacturers software and drivers Before, or After you installed the printer physically, as you should always instal manufacturer drivers first to prevent windows from installing its own.
Also check out this thread...It appears to be an identical situation and a probable solution. http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
The thread gives detailed instructions on removing all printer drivers and starting clean.
Please post back here if it helps. Thank you.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,929 posts.

02-May-2007, 12:31 PM #9
Computer Specs

02-May-2007, 03:41 PM #10
I tried the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324757 instructions and I did find that the Print Spooler Service status was Started after rebooting, but there was no other apparent change. I am still seeing the "Operation could not be completed. The Print Spooler Service is not running." when I try to Add a Printer. I am open for other relevant suggestions.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-May-2007, 12:11 AM #11
I don't know why I got this error, I'm not running a network. I didn't have time to mess with a fix (the above-mentioned system properties "fix" didn't work for me), so I did a system restore. Problem solved.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

16-May-2007, 10:50 AM #12
One of my users had this problem. I tried clearing ghe spool files, deleting all the drivers, disabling the fax service etc etc etc. Uninstalling NetSupport resolved the problem.
Computer Specs

17-May-2007, 05:23 PM #13
I have been unable to solve this problem. I AM NOT RUNNING ON A NETWORK. I am at my wits' end. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. Otherwise, I believe I will have to reformat my hard drive and start from scratch. Since I did not receive OS disks with my computer, I will have to purchase those as well.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-May-2007, 03:39 PM #14
Have you resorted to a reformat yet? If not, I might have an option for you to try.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

22-May-2007, 03:57 PM #15
You say the printer is USB. Try this and see if it works.

Disconnect the USB cable from the printer to the computer at the computer USB port and leave it disconnected.

Go into the computer and remove any existing printer drivers even if you have to go thru safe mode, and the printer USB cable is till disconnected.

Once all of the printer drivers are removed reboot the computer again with the USB cable still disconnected.

After the computer is booted put the install disk into the CD-ROM drive and start the installation with the USB cable still disconnected.

Go thru the installation and re-connect the USB cable from the printer when asked or if not asked when the computer is booting up.

The printer might have to go thru some basic setup for itself and should work hopefully.

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!