Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cloned drive won't boot

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 148 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-May-2007, 11:57 AM #1
Cloned drive won't boot
Hello guys! I just just purchased a 100 Gb drive and cloned my old 60Gb with the 2 partitions into it. I swapped the 2, but windows doesnt boot properly. I can see the windows logo, and the blue screen with the second windows logo (the one right before asking you for username and password) and it just gets stuck there. Whats wrong with it? I read in a thread that the drive letters make a difference. Should I name my new operating system partition c? Can you please help? I use windows xp home edition. thank you very much for your help!
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

12-May-2007, 12:00 PM #2
Boot from an MS-DOS floppy, you can build one from the images here: www.bootdisk.com

At the command prompt:

FDISK /MBR

Remove the floppy and try the Windows boot again.
Computer Specs
Member with 148 posts.

12-May-2007, 12:41 PM #3
Sorry for my ignorance JohnWill.. i went into the site but I'm not sure which one I should download.. could you please post a direct link to the file I need? Thanks so much!
Computer Specs

12-May-2007, 01:15 PM #4
Member with 3,750 posts.

Experience: A Linux user gone nuts on multi-boot
12-May-2007, 01:24 PM #5
I would remove the original and put the cloned drive in its position for trying.

Putting the two XP disks together is a bad idea. XP does verify the integrity of all the partitions it can read and it may not like a situation it cannot understand.
Computer Specs
Member with 148 posts.

12-May-2007, 01:30 PM #6
Im not sure what you mean saikee, by saying that putting the 2 xp together is a bad idea. Once I had cloned my hard disk I swapped them. So theres only one xp. And what do you mean by saying to put the cloned drive in its position for trying? Isnt it what I have already done? Thanks for the link Johnwill. I am going to try it out. It says boot98c though.. its not for windows 98 is it? hehe.
Member with 3,750 posts.

12-May-2007, 02:44 PM #7
If you removed the original and use the clone in its place then XP should boot up, check the integrity of the PC including all the hard disks, find out the hard disk has been altered or the serial number no longer matches the recorded data and will issue a demand for an immediate reboot. The XP will be fine after the reboot and the hard disk serial number amended.

If I have the need to leave the original copy there I find it necessary to hide the partition making XP omitting the checking of it.

I cannot be entirely sure but I would not be surprised if XP picks up the same CD key in the two hard disks. XP is responsible for the integrity of your systems, protection of the files, ownership etc. It may be cleverer than you think it is.

However if you haven't managed to clone it, didn't make the partition active or other mistake like that then you might need to restore its MBR as JohnWill suggested.
Computer Specs
Member with 148 posts.

12-May-2007, 03:02 PM #8
Thanks a lot for your support. when i cloned it, i chose the option to copy mbr (with norton ghost) was i supposed to? Also, saikee fyi i have a laptop. thanks
Member with 3,750 posts.

12-May-2007, 08:11 PM #9
If you clone the whole disk by Norton Ghost then it should be bootable. If you clone partition by partition and specified the MBR separately then you have to make sure the XP partition is made active otherwise it won't boot. Ghost allows the surce and target partition in different size and that may cause problem if you haven't defragged the partition first.

We could be barking to the wrong tree if you haven't done the cloning properly.

Anyway if you have a laptop without a floppy drive and no XP installation CD just download FreeDos CD iso image and burn it into a bootable CD. It also has fdisk program inside.

The XP's MBR only searches from the 4 primary partitions and boot up the one marked active. You can use the fdisk to make a partition active too.
Computer Specs

13-May-2007, 02:41 PM #10
The issue that the FDISK /MBR fixes is just this scenario, when a system is cloned to another disk that has already been formatted and has a drive letter assigned when you do the clone. That does not get overwritten by the clone operation, and the login process gets confused and tries to access a different disk, hence the login loop.

Download the MS-DOS boot disk and do the FDISK /MBR

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!