Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

official serial key not recognized while installing windows

(!)

Member with 33 posts.

14-May-2007, 09:47 PM #1
official serial key not recognized while installing windows
Hello everyone. I just formated a toshiba laptop, and finished installing windows. It worked fine. But when it came time to activate the operating system, it did not recognize the cd key that was printed on the bottom of the lap top. I tried to call the activation phone number, and it didnt recognize the long number generated by the computer which will allow the phone activation. Does anyone know why the official cd key that is on the bottom of the lap top not working?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 513 posts.

Experience: Web developer
14-May-2007, 09:50 PM #2
you have reinstalled the XP cd on different computers? you also must have installed it twice on the Laptop.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-May-2007, 09:51 PM #3
What kind of laptop do you have?

Is the install software the disk for this computer?
Member with 33 posts.

14-May-2007, 11:53 PM #4
The laptop is a toshiba satellite M40X. It has a sticker on the back that contains a windows xp home cd key. I used a win xp disk that came with my newer computer (sp2). I used that cd to reinstall windows on my older desktop many times. However, the cd key on the back of the laptop has never been used by me, its the first re-install.

Also, what do you mean by installing windows twice on the computer? Like installing it once, then formating and installing it again? This is what I did. I just formated the drive installed the operating system, and failed to activate windows. This worked on my desktop when I ran into trouble.

I also would like to highlight that the long number generated by the computer for the phone activation was not recognized when I called. This number is not related to the cd key on the back (at least it shouldnt be, right?).

Assuming that ninjas didnt steal my cd key and activated their windows with it, is there any other explanations for this?
Computer Specs

15-May-2007, 01:51 AM #5
I'm assuming that you own 2 keys one for the older desktop, and one for the laptop.
I'm afraid that ninjas really did came and steal your key. we call them crackers or hackers here.
but probably they don't even know it's your key they are using.

here's what you could do. when you activate through phone, talk to the tech assistant and say that you have the legitimate software and cd key. tell them your problem and they'll probably unlock the key and give it to you.

I can't explain well on how this activation system works to you though it's somehow something simple. so if you feel confused, I'm sorry.
Member with 33 posts.

15-May-2007, 09:36 AM #6
Ah, well I guess we all get hacked sometimes huh. Thank you for your help, I will contact the activation people.
Computer Specs

15-May-2007, 09:53 AM #7
Nope you didn't get hacked or anything.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!