Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

how do I enable a disabled service??

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

Experience: I know more then most
16-May-2007, 09:23 PM #1
how do I enable a disabled service??
I cannot do anything on the computer, but I will start with when I click on properties (from the administrative tools, services or MMC console) nothing happens. I can't even view the services window in the extended view, only the standard.. When I go to the set up new account area, the window opens, but it remains blank. so I can not change, view or create any accounts. Oh, and I don't show any internet connections, but when I try to create a new one, it says it is already there.. I can not copy anything, if it accepts the copy command, it will not let me paste it. Drag and drop is not working either.. (as I was going to just move all my important things to another drive, preferable my usb drive so I can put the stuff on this computer..
Oh, it is not this computer I am talking about, it is my primary computer, it will not get on line, as I do not show any internet connection except a remote access.. I uninstalled and reinstalled the network card.. that did not help. the operating system is Windows XP HOME edition. I am very frustrated about this entire situation. I am way ahead of myself, I apologize, please bear with me. Let me explain the situation in brief.
I have two computers in my office. I have a cable modem and a broadband router, connected to the router is a hard wire thru the attic to 2 more computers. So, there are 4 computers on our NETWORK. One of the other computers was always in my audit and security logs. I learned they were remoting into my computers so I turned off the remote services. I later noticed that several accounts had been created and the guest account, that I turned off, was turned back on. He denied accessing my computer for anything but the shared folders. I would access one of my computers from the other and check the log and not get the same audit, security or event codes that I was getting from this other computer.. Long story short, when I learned about command line instructions, and tryed a few out, checked the logs.. I knew that is what he was doing.. I discovered that my entire C drive was shared on one of my computers. His invisable accounts had access and admin privlidges to everything. Anyway, long story short, I turned off something I should not have and now, cannot create a new account, view properties, I need to turn on a service I disabled, Remote Procedure Call (I believe that is the one...) but could not. Could anybody tell me how to put everything back to default or turn that service on.. I am taking the password off my account and making folders no l onger read only in the event I have to repair the operating system or reinstall it, I will not have to change all the permissions to access them or loose them completely. What a mess.. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Computer Specs
Member with 211 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-May-2007, 09:31 PM #2
Whew. Ok first to turn that service back on:

Click start, click run, type "services.msc" without the quotes.

Find "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" double click on it.

Change the startup type to Automatic and click the start button, then apply.

More importantly, you keep mentioning "He." The guy upstairs I'm assuming? If he is messing with your computer and it's YOUR network, unplug him. End of story.

Let me know how you make out.

-PJ
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

16-May-2007, 09:53 PM #3
If you try to re-enable the RPC service and receive an error message... what is the exact error message that you see?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!