Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Forgot computer administrator password

(!)

Junior Member with 15 posts.

19-May-2007, 07:39 PM #1
Forgot computer administrator password
On my computer, I have an administrator account and the guest account. Well my dad took my computer away from me for a while and he changed the password to the administrator account. The problem is, he can't remember what he changed the password to. I only have access to the guest account now, so I can't install or uninstall any unwanted programs, the quality is horrible and I don't have any of my music!

I've searched around for password reseting programs, but that doesn't help since I can't even install anything on the guest account. Is there any way I can retrieve my password?

My dad has sat down and tried all the possibilities he could think of, and so has my mom and I've spent hours trying all possibilities I can think of. No success.

He thought it was "help kori" since the password hint is "mom and dad will".

Is there any way to get my password back? Thank you so much.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

19-May-2007, 07:52 PM #2
If at least one user account has administrator privileges that user can change the password for all other user accounts. A person with an administrator account can type "control userpasswords2" in a Command prompt window to get where they need to go.
Member with 22,468 posts.

19-May-2007, 09:40 PM #3
And that appears to be the problem. There no other account that has admin rights they can log in with.

But fortunately there is free software you can download (bootable floppy and CD Image), that will let you change the password on any local account.
http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/
Computer Specs
Member with 211 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-May-2007, 11:45 PM #4
Have you tried leaving the password blank? Is the password "password"? Watch the caps lock, too, XP passwords are case sensitive.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 678 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-May-2007, 12:14 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cerelli
But fortunately there is free software you can download (bootable floppy and CD Image), that will let you change the password on any local account.
http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/
So if someone stole my computer, they can get passed my Admin password?
Why bother having one if it can be by-passed?
Computer Specs
Member with 211 posts.

20-May-2007, 12:28 AM #6
jparr - Yeah they can, some software like this has limitations though... If you have a real strong complex long password you have a better chance of the software not working.

Honestly, If someone stole your laptop, they'd probably just wipe it and start fresh, unless they were really after your personal stuff.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,408 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-May-2007, 01:37 AM #7
Removed at request of poster, 24 hour time edit had expired.

Last edited by ~Candy~; 23-May-2007 at 12:28 PM..
Junior Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Beginner
20-May-2007, 05:03 AM #8
Edited by AcaCandy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
lemme know what you get

Last edited by ~Candy~; 23-May-2007 at 12:29 PM..
Member with 22,468 posts.

20-May-2007, 11:06 AM #9
"While logged onto the computer to an account that has administrative rights," - Again, that is the exact problem they are having. There is not account they can log in with that has admin rights. As a consequence, they can't change another user's password.

jparr111,

"So if someone stole my computer, they can get passed my Admin password?" - Yes, very easily.
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

23-May-2007, 12:25 PM #10
I'm going to go ahead and close this since we have no way to verify whether your father changed your password and has now decided to give you access or not.

Sorry, and for those of you trying to assist, THINK ABOUT IT
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

23-May-2007, 12:32 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pllobell
jparr - Yeah they can, some software like this has limitations though... If you have a real strong complex long password you have a better chance of the software not working.

Honestly, If someone stole your laptop, they'd probably just wipe it and start fresh, unless they were really after your personal stuff.
That's why many laptops have SPECIAL passwords now....now way to get around it except to send it to the company..... and pay $, but, at the same time, proving you are the owner.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!