Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to create compressed ISO File???

(!)

Member with 302 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-May-2007, 03:57 AM #1
How to create compressed ISO File???
Hi Guys!

I have a ISO file which is of 600 MB, but the contents inside it is about 1200 MB. This means that files inside it are in compressed format. How can I create a compressed ISO file in the same way.

Thanks.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,408 posts.

23-May-2007, 04:21 AM #2
Hmmm.....Another Indian like me.I like it.Good to meet you go4saket.Ok,as for your question you can probably use a program like WinRAR or WinZip to compress the file and then add it to the ISO.This should do the trick.Report back if it is succesful.Good Luck.
Computer Specs

23-May-2007, 04:32 AM #3
Yeah,got an alternate solution.Do this.Go here:-

http://www.download.com/PowerISO/300...=uo&tag=button

Download PowerISO and install it.In the end associate it with every file type,it lists.Start the program and ignore the registration nag.Now you will get a screen like the one I have attached.Now,the best part.You want to see what are the contents of the file before burning it to CD.Hmmmm.....No problem.Just mount the image.Here is how to do it:-

1)Click on "Tools" and highlight "Virtual Drive".
2)Highlight "Set Number of Drives" and select 1.
3)Now open "My Computer".You will see that there is one more virtual drive added.
4)Right click on the virtual drive,highlight PowerISO and select "Mount Image to Virtual Drive" or something like that.Browse to the file and Click "Open".
5)Now,this will mount the image in the drive making it think that there is a CD in the drive when it is only an image!

Browse the contents of the file.Everything perfect?Ok,lets compress it:-

1)Open PowerISO.
2)Click on "Tools".
3)Select "Compress..."
4)Browse to the file and select "Ok".
5)This will compress your .iso file.
6)You can do this multiple times to compress it within a small size.

Do this and report back here.Good Luck.
Member with 302 posts.

23-May-2007, 04:39 AM #4
Hello Goku! Thanks but I do know about PowerISO. The problem with it is that it changes the ISO to DAA if you go for the conversion. I want the output to be in ISO format.
Computer Specs

23-May-2007, 04:49 AM #5
Hmmm......do you mind if it is in daa.I mean do you want to burn it or just keep the file?Hey,one more question.Where do you stay in India?
Member with 302 posts.

23-May-2007, 12:45 PM #6
I am from Orissa! As for DAA, as it needs PowerISO only and not all image mounting softwares support, I didnt want to keep my files in that format. Therefore I prefer ISO.
Computer Specs

23-May-2007, 12:55 PM #7
Well,I am from Gujarat.As for your concept,you are wrong.I do agree that iso format can be read by all CD burning applications but daa format can also be read by all image burning programs like MagicISO,PowerISO,Daemon Tools,etc.Remember,it is image burning and not CD burning application.As you are creating a "compressed" image,you will need an image burning application for that.And,daa extension can be read by all image burning applications.Therefore,no need to worry.Your image will be compressed,readable and valid.Hope you get it.Good Luck.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!