Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Google, YouTube, streaming video freezes.

(!)

WButchar   (Wally) WButchar is offline WButchar has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 232 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-May-2007, 09:54 PM #1
Angry Google, YouTube, streaming video freezes.
Occasionally, I like to check out videos on Google, YouTube and other streaming video sites. Almost consistently, they tend to "freeze" after a few minutes. They NEVER resume. After rebooting pc, it may play a minute more, but that's it.

I'm running a customized 2400AMD processor set at 1800, 1 GB DDR RAM, 128 Radion Vid, (2x) 7200 HD's with plenty room on a well maintained pc. I have High Speed cable running at over 3 MBits/sec. During the "freeze" times, I can open another search engine and there's no lag on searching nor downloads. At the same time, I can run Adobe PS or any other RAM and processor using program and still no lag. I tested it to see if any other function on my pc slowed down by running several apps at once during the "freeze" and everything was fine. Still, even though I start with NOTHING running outside my basic OS, virus scan and "tuned" Sygate firewall, I can't watch more than a few minutes of Google vid, You Tube or other streaming video without it freezing.

My ie temp file is set to over 1500 MB. I'm actually typing this with a streaming video frozen on another search engine. I can even watch a movie and send emails at the same time w/o lag at the same time streaming vid is frozen. NOTHING else lags. Not even my ie provider can figure this out.

This is frustrating. Any ideas?

WJB
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

23-May-2007, 10:01 PM #2
On-line videos can be a very big load on the system.

I would start-off by updating the video display driver with the latest one

Also try re-seating the RAM chip(s)

Also let's try checking the temps in your computer please post the results of the next:

SpeedFan is a freeware program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures
http://www.almico.com/speedfan432.exe

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.
Member with 6,052 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-May-2007, 10:22 PM #3
Do you have the latest version of Flash Player? Test here.
The latest version is Player 9,0,45,0
You might need to use the uninstaller for your version before installing the latest.
Computer Specs
Member with 232 posts.

23-May-2007, 11:48 PM #4
Re-installed Flash Player. No change.
Thanks for the response and the input.

I thought I had the latest version, but just in case it was corrupt, installed vers. 9.0.45.0 (properly: shutting off browsers, etc. and a fresh pc reboot). Tried Google video and it froze in less than 2 minutes. Everything else works fine - games, Shockwave, etc. Other programs fine. Browser & downloads super fast. You Tube and Google still freeze. Funny how I didn't have this problem w/98 or Millenium. Mind you, XP worked for a few months. I'm really stumped.

Recently did a complete sys maintenance,too. Anti-virus, spyware, etc. and cleaned out my reg, hot keys, outdated and useless files, etc.

At work I'm responsible for keeping several pc's working prime and networked efficiently amongst other pc related machines, so I keep a pretty decent house. Still, 2 other techs I spoke with are stumped as well.

The pc's running XP all tend to lock up the vid's, but usually only after several have played through. (Did a test earlier to check.) One pc has to run Win 98 because of a cutting program we use. XP - even with the "compatability" set - is still un-"compatable". It hasn't froze up yet and it's a Duron with 1.3 GHz, 512 RAM and an older system.

(Not an encouraging reason to upgrade to Vista.)

Oh well, if you can come up any other ideas I'll be happy to try 'em. (Short of a blunt instrument. LOL) Something has to work.

Later then!
Computer Specs
Member with 232 posts.

24-May-2007, 12:27 AM #5
Talking Re: Speed Fan
Downloaded SpeedFan. Overall temps are better than average. (Highest was 44 C.)However, 2 out of my 3 fans are set to turn on when needed. Since the temp's decent, the other 2 fans are off. Not exactly my favorite thing because I have no way of telling if and when either of them are blown. (Not too smart setting them up this way in the first place, I think. Probably will set up 2 to run constant and vary the speed. Keep the 3rd as a backup.) Anyway, everything's fine and both HD's are in the mid to high 90% in fitness and performance.

However, it's a good idea to take the pc in for a physical in the near future. Better than encountering an unexpected "surprise" like I did one time when I instructed a tech to incorporate extra fans into my last unit and the only fans I found AFTER my motherboard cooked was the one that comes with the power supply and the one on the chip. (Was not too happy.)
Junior Member with 1 posts.

16-Sep-2008, 07:05 PM #6
I've had this problem on my old set up and it just occurred sometime but I was unsure Why or How????

I've recently did a full install and one of the first things I checked was this strangeness and all worked fine!!

I've been on the new install for several weeks and had the NSIS error and the corrupted file thing also but managed to deal with them. Bloody Nvidia and it's firewall that I'm sure I didn't select!

Finally got it all working video stream wise (surprised at no answers on the web though??)

I uninstalled my motherboard drivers from change programs, uninstalled my anti-virus etc. (McAfee), uninstalled my video drivers and took a bit of time to reinstall them (partially) without anything else (didn't see anything strange though!!).

I didn't install my McAfee firewall and ignored the 2 way thing when prompted and then made sure my windows firewall was enabled.

Low and behold it all works!! took me about 4 hours though using various combo's until it worked?? Set yourself a night aside and try it or a number of combos!!

Good luck on this as I only registered to try and help you as I'm not that techy! well I can build and play with them.... Again good luck as it's damn annoying!
Computer Specs
Member with 232 posts.

19-Sep-2008, 10:34 PM #7
Thumbs up No idea, but it stopped!
Not sure why, but seems to work fine... at least at present. Just kept doing basic maintenance and such and ignored surfing for a while. Since my email never froze, I had no problem with that. Wondering if maybe the wireless was acting up. No idea. Wish I knew, but hopefully won't encounter that problem again as it was very annoying.

Thanks for all the input. Even though some of it didn't help the situation, it sure gave me options and new stuff to try, which I found very helpful and interesting.

Thanks.

WButchar )
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!