Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: My CPU Usage always shows 100%

(!)

Junior Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-May-2007, 06:17 PM #1
Unhappy Solved: My CPU Usage always shows 100%
My CPU Usage always shows 100% and my system is getting very slow although I have not installed any big software and have strong antivirus (symantec) whose definition files are updated .So , why is it happening?
Computer Specs
Member with 6,115 posts.

27-May-2007, 06:21 PM #2
Hi there, welcome to TSG!

Please do the following:

1.) Press Control+Alt+Delete.
2.) Once the windows task manager box appears, click on the Processes tab.
3.) There are 4 tabs at the top. "Image Name" "User Name" "CPU" and "Mem Usage".
4.) Click on "CPU" -- then scroll right down to the bottom and tell me which one is using 100%.

28-May-2007, 04:43 PM #3
Dear
System Idle Process & Svc host are taking 90-100%
Member with 92 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-May-2007, 04:46 PM #4
The system idle process should be ignored. When it uses 100% of the CPU usage it means your computer is doing nothing, so for this process the CPU usage is irrelevant. (or the higher it is, the better)

Svchost can be more troublesome though.

To troubleshoot the problem I recommend Process Explorer. Download and run it, and right click on the process that has the highest CPU usage. On the services tab it will list which services that process is responsible for. Post the list here, and then we can go through trial-and-error to work out which service is causing this problem.

As to why this happens? Without more information its impossible to say. Even once we resolve the problem we still might not know why it happened.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,115 posts.

01-Jun-2007, 09:20 AM #5
svchost.exe has been known to do this. The only way to fix this (that I know of) is to turn off automatic updates in the windows security center. You will then have to download them manually using internet explorer from http://update.microsoft.com
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

30-Dec-2007, 05:48 PM #6
i have problem like u i mean cpu usage is high if u solved ...tell me how... thnx yasser.br@gmail.com
Junior Member with 2 posts.

19-May-2008, 06:32 PM #7
Well, I don't know if this will help anyone or not. Perhaps I'm just putting in my two cents here:

But a few weeks ago I had a similar problem. My computer was working fine one night, and then the next day it slowed down to a crawl. It was taking 30 to 40 seconds for the computer to catch up to whatever I was doing. E.g. Right clicking on something wouldn't even bring up the menu until after about 30 to 40 seconds... 2) Clicking on the Start button wouldn't produce the program list until 30 to 40 seconds later.

So when I say "crawl," I mean crawl. I began to realize fairly quickly that the CPU was topping out at a 100%. I checked task manager and I also had srvchost process topping at 100.

I tried to do several things before shutting down necessary processes. Clean Disk was one of multiple things I tried (though I figured I would gain absolutely nothing by doing it) but when bringing it up I started getting Windows error support files showing up in the program with files listing sizes of 10 gigs, 4 gigs, and on two different occasions throughout the day I was getting support files in the program listing them over 100 gigs LITERALLY. The thing was, I didn't even have that much space on my notebook to begin with.

I begun to wonder if possibly something went wrong with my registry. I installed a trial registry program, but before using it (don't ask me why), I restored windows to an earlier point and then used the registry program which seemed to have worked at first. For a few days, everything was green. But then there was a windows update that happened, and the next day the EXACT thing happened again (possibly even the same update that the restoral removed before the problem started). System restore was no longer resolving the problem, and now it was slower than before, so out of frustration, and the attempt to find out if it was a hardware problem or not, I ended up starting fresh by just wiping the whole comp clean and reinstalling the OS.

Everything has been perfect since then.

With ALL that said... if the suggestions above does not solve your problem since there isn't much anyone can do without knowing more about your problem or seeing the computer for themselves, you may want to think about the registry. BUT, the registry is nothing to play around with. Get a HIGHLY REPUTABLE registry program or before you do that, try a system restore to a prior date when the computer started acting funny.

I had initially thought I was having a hardware issue, but it turned out that it was definitely some type of software issue (most likely from a Windows update) that caused some type of conflict in my registry.

**Run a virus check too, just in case. Also, you can do a systems diagnostic through your BIOS. It takes a few hours, but it usually will give you the info you need if it is a hardware or even a RAM issue.

If you don't know how to access your system's diagnostic program through the BIOS (that's where *mine* is), check your manufacturer's support forum or ask one of the guys on here. The way to access it may be different for each computer, but I guarantee you -- you'll find the info for how to access somewhere on the net. But once you find the appropriate function keys to access it, it's easy as pie to use -- user friendly, and it basically does all the work after it asks you a few questions like: Do you hear the following tone? Do you currently see the scrolling bars on your monitor? Etc etc....

Good luck! Seriously... I know, it's a real pain to deal with.. especially when you don't know what's causing it.

20-May-2008, 01:07 AM #8
Smile Thanks
Thanks for ur assistance .i Consult to a hardware guy and he told that there more than 13 viruses instances in my system's bootstrap .I dont know of its true or not .My system is working far better for 2-3 weeks. Let see what happens anyways thanks for you reply i will work on your advice so it can help me in the future
Thanks & Regards
Junior Member with 2 posts.

20-May-2008, 01:44 PM #9
Ahhh, okay. Well, I'm glad your system is working better.

Let us all know how it turns out.
Email This Email  Print This Print  Add to Favorites Favorites  Tweet This Send to Facebook Send to MySpace Send to StumbleUpon Digg This | More Services More
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!