Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer Freezes When Connecting USB

(!)

Junior Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-May-2007, 05:56 AM #1
Exclamation Computer Freezes When Connecting USB
Hey Everyone! Hope ur all doing good!

Basically ive been having problems with a computer for a while, everytime i connect my iPod or 512MB Memory stick it freezes my computer, but my printer is working fine through the usb?! It seems to be anything mass storage i think. I have reinstalled XP Home, downloaded all the updates, downloaded all the drivers for the computer from the Packard Bells website, deleted all the devices in device manager and let them find themself again but dont seem to do no good!

If someone could help me resolve this problem, would really appreciate it!

Have a nice day! and thanks for your help in advanced

Camron
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

29-May-2007, 08:20 AM #2
First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG

-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

29-May-2007, 11:47 AM #3
Hey JohnWill, thank you for your quick reply! still no luck tho. I tryed it twice to make sure i done it propa but nothing, it freezes up.

Got anything else for me to try guys?

01-Jun-2007, 01:43 PM #4
^^ bump, still having prob
Senior Member with 730 posts.

01-Jun-2007, 02:48 PM #5
Is this interpretation correct?
If you connect a USB device which has its own power (printer for example) there is no problem.
If you connect a USB device which gets power over the USB trace it freezes the computer?

Could be a damaged USB power trace. Have you tried all ports?

If you have access to a powered USB hub I would try using it and see if that solves the problem.

Or is it just removable drives; ones with data on them. Try disabling indexing service in services.msc (start / run and type services.msc and hit enter locate indexing service, double click it , change startup to disabled and click stop service note what the original settings were before you do this) and see if that helps.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

06-Jun-2007, 04:01 PM #6
Guys,

I had the same problem as Kam. My computer froze when I'd plug in my Ipod or Flash drive to a usb port. I have four ports on the computer and it would freeze no matter which one I tried. It would lock up everything (no mouse, no ctrl+alt+delete response, no nothing).

However, unlike Kam, mine would freeze up even when I'd plug in the printer to usb. It should be noted that the freeze-up problem was not 100%. usb connections would work about 1 out of 10 times, usually when the computer was cold.

Anyway, I tried John's suggested remedy and it seems to have solved the problem. Ipod, printer, and flash drive work fine. However, like I said, they do work occasionally, so I'll let you know if the problem returns.

Good luck Kam and thanks for your help John.

Kortronovitch

08-Jun-2007, 02:37 PM #7
Hi, thanks johnwill and oshwyn5, i have repeated your advice a number of times and still nothing. The iPod is definately been picked up by the computer because the egg time appears just before it freezes and the iPod screen lights up.

Is there a log i can create that i can post, so you peeps could take a look? or any other advice?! IM ALL OUT OF IDEAS!!! been searching the net but cant find anything. I have updated the BIOS and installed new drivers... still nothing!!

HELPPPP!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Kam
Junior Member with 1 posts.

22-Jun-2007, 04:53 AM #8
John Will: I followed you directions above and when i uninstalled everything under disk drives it forced me to restart my computer, the only problem is that after i restarted it wont go past the screen that askes me if i want to start windows normally. After that it shows the windows xp Professional screen for 2 seconds and then proceeds to just go through the same process over and over. I have no idea what i am supposed to do and i am so frustrated and confused...please help

22-Jun-2007, 09:34 AM #9
Im still stuck on this issue aswell Anyone out there able to help us out ?

25-Jun-2007, 06:07 PM #10
Problems returned
Yeah, despite the initial success using the method above, by computer seems to have relapsed into its former state. It locks up completely after plugging in any USB device. The only time it works is right after I go through the process johnwill laid out. So every time I want to use a USB devise, I have to go through that whole process. So any further help would be great. To those having the same problem as me, have you tried factory reset? That is the next step for me, but if you all know it isn't going to work, I won't waste the hours that it will take backing up my info onto dvds only to have the same problem reoccur.

Thanks again,
Kortronovitch
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Einstein
10-Jul-2007, 12:39 PM #11
Had same problem
Hey,

We recently had the same problem with all of our companies computers. The majority of them, if they had any type of USB devices attached, begin crashing one by one. I am 'assuming' that some type of recent update has done this. Although I am not sure...

I've only found one way to fix it, or at least it is a work around for the time being, and that is if you disable the DEP (Data Execution Prevention) that is built in to Windows XP XP2.
The devices that we have had problems with range from storage devices to mice and keyboards.

To disable the DEP, you reboot the computer and hit F8 to enter the boot selection menu.
Select Safe Mode.
Once the computer is booted up in Safe mode, click on Start and Run and type CMD and hit enter
Type the following;
bootcfg /raw "/noexecute=alwaysoff /fastdetect" /id 1

See the following article for more information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886348

If someone finds a TRUE solution to this problem, that would be wonderful! For now, we are turning the DEP off.

Someone let me know if this solves your problem too.
Thanks!
Computer Specs

27-Sep-2007, 02:03 AM #12
Hey guys,

I know this thread is kind of old now...but I'm having the same problem as kamvip. Whenever I plug my iPod or walkman phone into any of the USB ports on my laptop it completely freezes and I can't do anything until I've pulled out the device and restarted my computer. It sucks because I can't update my ipod with new songs.

I followed johnwill and oshwyn5's suggestions but nothing changed...

has anyone managed to overcome this problem another way?

Thanks,
~halliee
Athan has a Photo Album
Member with 27,534 posts.

27-Sep-2007, 03:04 AM #13
This is not a very rare problem and can be caused by quite a number of reasons.

However at a generic level i'd recommend that you check the Universal Serial Bus controller listed in device manager for any warnings !!
then uninstall the USB drivers reboot and reinstall ( also do check for updates )!

I'd also suggest re doing the chipset drivers again....just to be sure !!

~a
Account Closed with 51 posts.

27-Sep-2007, 03:12 AM #14
I had this also, I updated Windows XP and it went well. Try searching for Updates it helped me for sure though.
Computer Specs

27-Sep-2007, 06:09 AM #15
There are no warnings in device manager and I just updated XP (I even downloaded internet explorer 7 lol) but no change
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!