Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

safe shutdown if no mouse?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 816 posts.

Experience: still learning
03-Jun-2007, 09:04 AM #1
safe shutdown if no mouse?
I had this happen to me a while ago. My mouse quit working for some strange reason. Could not shut down system as it shuts down from screen. Is there a safe way to shut down your computer if your mouse quits? I had to shut off the power with the button which shuts it down without saving anything.
ODIN 0ERO
Guest with n/a posts.

03-Jun-2007, 09:29 AM #2
press the WINDOWS button once[win logo on the key] and the letter U twice and that is all there is to it.

do not use the power button to shut down the system because it cause damage to your operating system.

i recommend LOGITECH as a high quality pc mouse manufacturer.

Last edited by ODIN 0ERO; 03-Jun-2007 at 09:53 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Jun-2007, 09:36 AM #3
On some computers the power button does shut down the computer like a normal shutdown but on some others it goes into a stand-by or hibernation mode. neither one will hurt anything. Also for immediate shut-down = pressing and holding the power button in the computer will just shut-down with no save off anything and might cause chkdsk or scan disk to run on bootup.

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.
Lance1   (Lance) Lance1 is offline Lance1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,172 posts.

03-Jun-2007, 09:43 AM #4
Windows key + U will bring up the utility manager. Just hit the Windows key and use your keyboard arrows to navigate to Turn Off Computer. And then tab over to Turn Off.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,729 posts.

03-Jun-2007, 10:08 AM #5
You can also use Cntl + Alt + Del, tab over to Shutdown. The drop-down can be worked with the arrow keys, then tab until OK is highlighted and hit Enter.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,013 posts.

03-Jun-2007, 01:28 PM #6
"Windows key + U will bring up the utility manager."

Yeah, I've done that by accident several times. Use Windows key - U - U as ODIN 0ERO posted.
Computer Specs
Member with 816 posts.

Experience: still learning
04-Jun-2007, 06:38 PM #7
Thanks for all the answers. I have two windows logos on my keyboard, guess just pick one. My computer is one that does not go through the cycle of shutting down windows, etc. It just shuts it down NOW. Computer came back on O.K. and is running good. Guess no harm was done. Thanks again, have printed them and are on file.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!