Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: No Audio in XP Pro after SP2 install.

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

03-Jun-2007, 05:42 PM #1
Solved: No Audio in XP Pro after SP2 install.
I made a post a few days ago about my audio skipping during playback, but the situation has gone from bad to worse after updating to SP2.

sysinfo:
Windows XP Pro, SP2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+
ECS KA3 MVP mobo with SB600/ATI Azalia audio chipset (Realtek HD Audio drivers)
ATI X1900XT gpu

The onboard chipset is recognized in the device manager and says it's functioning properly, however if I go to 'Sounds and Audio Devices' in the control panel it says there is 'no audio device' and all of the selections are grayed out in the tabs. The windows audio service is listed as 'started' under the 'Administrative tools' section of the control panel. This is very weird to me, maybe there's a .inf file missing somewhere? I've got no clue. Thanks for any help in advance!

tim
Member with 10,249 posts.

Experience: Learning
03-Jun-2007, 05:46 PM #2
You just need to download and install the newest drivers for the sound card

Microsoft MCCA 2012

03-Jun-2007, 05:50 PM #3
Thanks for the quick reply, I did try that already, I got a set from realtek that are dated 05/10/07 but that didn't seem to help anything. I'm in the process of getting a fresh set of drivers for the SB600 chipset. Thanks again for your input, have you got any other ideas? Any help is appreciated

03-Jun-2007, 05:55 PM #4
Look in Device Manager . . uninstall the sound devices and reboot, when windows "discovers" the sound card, cancel the installation and install the new drivers

Microsoft MCCA 2012

03-Jun-2007, 06:39 PM #5
Alright, I uninstalled the Realtek HD Audio drivers, then installed a fresh set of south bridge drivers, then installed a fresh set of Realtek HD Audio drivers, and it's still a no-go. This problem has me completely clueless.

03-Jun-2007, 07:08 PM #6
I think I may be making progress, the Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio mixer is listed as stopped when I typed 'sc query kmixer' in the command prompt. It does say that it's set to start, but for some reason the service has stopped. Any ideas on how to get this process to start again?

04-Jun-2007, 01:13 PM #7
As best I can figure, it was some sort of service or driver conflict between Microsoft Kernel Wave audio mixer and my Realtek HD Audio device, the kmixer service was getting disabled. I couldn't find a way to reinstall the kmixer service so I ended up reloading windows *for the second time in 3 days.* Everything works fine now, though. For future reference I will load windows, then update it completely, then install all necessary drivers for my hardware. Last time I loaded windows I did the reverse of that and it seemed to cause some problems, as evidenced by the existence of this thread. Thank you all for your help and advice!

tim

04-Jun-2007, 04:31 PM #8
I find I have the fewest problems if I install SP2 and the other 80 or so updates prior to installing drivers or applications

Microsoft MCCA 2012
Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Jun-2007, 11:42 PM #9
Question Curiosity about this
Wondering if there IS a way to initiate the kmixer? I have this same problem. All audio drivers are installed and fine...but the media control devices are not available so no sound. It says its installed and working properly but "location" is "unkown" and all controls are greyed out. Everything worked fine until I installed SP2. Also after installing SP2 can I "re-install" XP pro over it?
Hoping there is some way of changing the kmixer from stopped to started instead but I haven't found it yet. Thanks for any help.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,235 posts.

Experience: Years of foolishness, moments of brilliance
19-Jun-2007, 11:54 PM #10
Microsoft says: "To install this update, you must have Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed on the computer."

Microsoft KB 920872 package...

Note: If one or more of the following audio drivers are being used when you install this update, you must restart the computer. This enables the functionality of the following files:
Kmixer.sys
Splitter.sys
Wdmaud.sys
Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Jun-2007, 07:18 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattlr
Wondering if there IS a way to initiate the kmixer? I have this same problem. All audio drivers are installed and fine...but the media control devices are not available so no sound. It says its installed and working properly but "location" is "unkown" and all controls are greyed out. Everything worked fine until I installed SP2. Also after installing SP2 can I "re-install" XP pro over it?
Hoping there is some way of changing the kmixer from stopped to started instead but I haven't found it yet. Thanks for any help.
Thank you but I did find that fix and installed it but still the same issue.
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: no experience
21-Jun-2007, 06:17 PM #12
Hi, I have the same audio problem too. But I don't install SP2 in the first , I've already have it.
I don't know what exactly happen with my noteboo, acer, TravelMate3240, Windows xp sp2. I've update my audio driver, realtek. but still it won't work.
it says no audio device.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: advanced user intermediate OS knowledge
04-Jul-2007, 05:04 PM #13
Question Realtek Audio Player No Sound
My problem is when I first purchased my notebook it had sound, very low volume but, it could be heard. Now, the volume is almost nill. I have uninstalled drivers & disabled audio and reinstalled 4 times using both Windows auto installation upon restart and skipping auto install, downloading drivers directly from Realtek. Of course, everything says that is is working properly. I have also gone into registry and deleted duplicate copies of midi and mixer - I found info on another site regarding problems with more than 10 copies of drivers relating to sound in Windows/NT/2000/XP. Nothing seems to help. I know that there is a problem with the Realtek audio because I see it discussed on many tech pages. Any ideas?

Model: Toshibia Model A105-S4094
CPU: Intel Core Duo Processor T2250
Chipset: Intel 945GM Express
Media Player: Windows Media 11.0
Audio: Realtek ALC861

Thanks.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

04-Jul-2007, 10:05 PM #14
I fixed the problem on my end. All I did was look in device manager, then find the PCI bus that had a yellow exclamation mark next to it, then update the driver/automatically. It worked like a charm.

Had just done a clean install of XPsp2 with the very latest drivers, it's the first time it's ever happened to me with all the re-installs I've done on the XPC SN27P2/Realtek sound driver.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: advanced user intermediate OS knowledge
05-Jul-2007, 04:07 PM #15
Thanks. I checked my PCI bus and all others. The system reports that it is working fine. No yellow exclamations. Thanks for the tip anyway! Still inaudible sound levels :-(
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!