Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

None of my programs are opening

(!)

Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Jun-2007, 08:20 PM #1
None of my programs are opening
When I came on the computer today, the first thing that came up was a warning from Lavasoft Ad-Aware telling me something about a regkey being modified and then it said Allow or Block. I figured it was a bad thing, so I clicked block and went on. My Firefox was working fine. However, when I went to open my iTunes, nothing happened. The only program working for me was Firefox. So, I restarted my computer and all of my icons to different programs showed up as errors (I don't know if that's the right word, but none of them would open). So, since I couldn't run any of my anti-virus programs to do a scan, I went online and ran the Trend Micro House Call scan... But, each time I do it, it gets to a certain point and then my taskbar disappears and I can't get it back.

I've tried searching everywhere for a solution but they all require me downloading something which doesn't work since I can't open any windows.

This is a HUGE problem for me and it would be great if someone could help. I hope I gave enough information... I'm using Windows XP... but if that's not enough, I'll be glad to give more...

Thanks!
Member with 1,119 posts.

06-Jun-2007, 08:23 PM #2
It sounds like you might be infected. I would put this post into the security forum and let the experts there help you. Click on this link to get to the security forum.

http://forums.techguy.org/54-security/
Trusted Advisor with 19,658 posts.

06-Jun-2007, 08:25 PM #3
Give the EXE file association fix a try.
http://dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

06-Jun-2007, 08:38 PM #4
Okay, I'll go post this over there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squashman
Give the EXE file association fix a try.
http://dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
I tried that earlier but it wouldn't work because my computer will still unzip the folder, but it won't open the reg file inside it.

06-Jun-2007, 08:43 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jia
Okay, I'll go post this over there..

I tried that earlier but it wouldn't work because my computer will still unzip the folder, but it won't open the reg file inside it.
And you read this....
Quote:
NOTE: If your EXE file associations are corrupted, it can be difficult to open REGEDIT, or to even import REG files. To work around this, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter.
Thanks to Nigel Andrews for this tip.

06-Jun-2007, 09:03 PM #6
No, actually, I didn't .

But even when I did that (and it worked, thanks), I can't figure out how to get the EXE File Association Fix to work... I'm probably doing something wrong but I'm getting the same message when I click on it.

06-Jun-2007, 09:31 PM #7
So you were able to open Registry Editor but it won't import the registry file you downloaded?

06-Jun-2007, 09:54 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squashman
So you were able to open Registry Editor but it won't import the registry file you downloaded?
Nope. It just says that Window was unable to open the file.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. I just imported it through regedit... Thanks for helping!

Last edited by jia; 06-Jun-2007 at 10:08 PM..

06-Jun-2007, 11:34 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jia
Nope. It just says that Window was unable to open the file.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. I just imported it through regedit... Thanks for helping!
yeah, that was kind of the point to the Quote I had above.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!