Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

keyboard does not work

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Jun-2007, 12:56 PM #1
keyboard does not work
3 days ago my keyboard on my a HP pavilion 7920 stopped working. I have tried it in a
PS2 port and a USB port but neither will allow me to key in. It is a HP pavilion 7920 and the operatiing system is Windows XP Service Pack 2. Service Pack 2 was recently updated to that computer with many hot fixes (10), security updates (51) and updates for windows
XP (13). When I reboot, I can access the keyboard by pressing enter causing the syem to begin rebooting without awaiting the automatic timing. If I go into DOS or WORD or attempt to make any entry it will not key anything.

I also cannot right click and get a menu when in 'All Programs' nor in the 'Control Panel' but I can on the Desktop.

I did check 'Accessibility ' to make sure 'right click' was available.

I have gone thru 'troubleshoot'ing in the 'Keyboard' and the 'mouse' to no avail.

I have installed a number of packages on that computer, Norton 360 (and subsequently uninstalled it), Microsoft Digital Images, Adobe Photoshop, Roxio, 3B Ad Blocker Pro, Findit, Scrap Boook Factory Deluxe and Google Toolbar for I/E.

Also an in home network was installed using Netgear for a wireless connection was installed by Brighthouse.

I first believed it was a hardware problem, but since it does not key when in a PS2 port nor a USB port I believe it is a Software problem.

I also noticed yesterday I now have 'Simplescrub' posting on the desktop doing nothing and right now I just turn it off.

I believe I have 2 options:
1. Totally re-install Windows/XP back to when I purchased it. I cannot do a 'System Restore' because I cannot key on to the keyboard for that.
2. Have the hardware checked by a hardware maintenance person.

Are there any other options to correct these 2 problems and bring back the keyboard and the mouse completely.
Member with 34 posts.

28-Oct-2007, 08:52 AM #2
I am having the same problem. Have you found a solution?

Owireua
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Oct-2007, 09:16 AM #3
Here is for both of you and Welcome to TSG....

You might have to remove the hard drive from this computer and install it in another computer as a slave drive and after it is able to be accessed by Windows on that computer you will have to manually backup all of your important data that you have to another media like CD-R's, DVD or external hard drive. Then when this is done return it to the original computer as a master drive on the primary IDE cable and do the following:

REGISTRY WARNING: The details that follow require an above-average understanding of the technical topics involved. If you do not understand the Registry material presented here, either find a technically knowledgeable friend or do not attempt to repair your system Registry yourself. Improper changes in the System Registry can render all data on your hard disk inaccessible.
I hope you have the Windows software for this machine. Please give this a try and print it out for reference
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/917964

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install with IE6 Installed =
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Here is a link to a registry backup program that is absolutely fantastic it is called ERUNT
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
Remember to always keep a backup of two things:
Your registry, and your data. You will never be sorry.

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.
Member with 34 posts.

30-Oct-2007, 03:34 PM #4
Cool Keyboard not working-Still no success
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately when I removed the hard drive and attached to another PC with the view to backing-up the data on it I got the information that the hard drive is not formatted and asked whether or not I want to format it. I attached the drive back to the original PC and still have the same problem. The keyboard is still not working.
I just need the keyboard to respond so that I can change the boot sequence from hard drive to the CDrom so that I can repair the windows. The windows XP file \windows\system32\config\system is either missing or damaged so the windows can't start. Any tips or help as to how to solve this problem? Thanks.

Owiredua
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!