Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Toshiba Laptop No Sound

(!)

Member with 74 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Jun-2007, 03:22 PM #1
Solved: Toshiba Laptop No Sound
The laptop has two built in speakers and a headphone jack. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. When I go to Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel the volume tab is all greyed out. When I go to the Sound tab and click on one of the sound icons, like Critical Stop, and hit the play button, there is no sound and its as if the sound is continuously playing. That is, the button never changes from the little black box back to the play button. This machine is running XP.

Also, I checked the audio properties in Device Manager and the device is working properly. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Jun-2007, 03:30 PM #2
When you go to Sounds and Audio Devices Properties, do you have a device listed next to the speaker icon?? If not you may want to go to Device Manager and right click the speaker driver and select uninstall then click the scan for hardware changes button (computer w/ magnifying glass icon) and the card should be redetected.
Member with 74 posts.

14-Jun-2007, 03:57 PM #3
I uninstalled the device and restarted the compute. It tried to load it but couldn't find a dll file. I found the file, installed it, but still no sound.
Member with 74 posts.

14-Jun-2007, 04:11 PM #4
Well, I went to try another uninstall of the device driver and when I clicked it I got the BSOD. I turned off the computer and turned it back on and got sound. Also got the message that Windows recovered from a serious error. Dont know what's going on, but for now, its working.
Thanks Geezy.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!