Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Toshiba Laptop, Windows XP Home SP2-Lap top Heating up and need some advice

(!)

Member with 2,142 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Jun-2007, 10:21 AM #1
Angry Solved: Toshiba Laptop, Windows XP Home SP2-Lap top Heating up and need some advice
Lap top Heating up and need some advice
Toshiba Laptop, Windows XP Home SP2

The computer works for say about 10 min and then what ever you would be doing it would just shut down. If you tried to start it up again it would come on and then turn itself off again but if you let it sit for awhile to cool off it would restart and run for awhile and then shutdown again. I put a cd case under the front of the laptop to let some air under it and that did it . it runs as long as you want it to. I took the case out from under it and in a couple of min it shut down again. and to feel the bottom of the case it was really hot. So it will run if you put something under it. So I went to the Toshiba site and looked up the laptop and found that they have a heat problem with certain kinds of these lap tops that they will shut down. They get so hot in the upper right hand corner that they actually curl up I guess and by the way that is where the fan is under it on the upper right hand corner.(I did check the fan on the bottom and it is working) So I would like someone if they would be so kind as to look on the site where I went and help me to understand if I need a BIOS flash. So they say those laptops need a BIOS Update. but I can figure out if it is mine. I think it is but not sure.

This is what he has his laptop
The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A65-S126
model PSA60U-02K-15
Serial 64030643Q
at the site I see the A65-S126 and it says for serial#s 64, 74, 84, 94 so I think it is the one but then there are like 4 different updates and I no with the BIOS you don't want the wrong one. Here is the site URL and the info if someone could take alook I would be grateful. I got everything else working great except that shutting down. here is the site

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modItemList.jsp?ModelDLCat=BIOS|105502&ListType=Model&ct=DL&moid=8354 06&BV_SessionID=@@@@1052486320.1182034427@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddlekegidjc g fkceghdgngdgnn.0

Here are the Support Bulletins for the Satellite A65-S126 you selected.
Click the link to expand your search to include All Support Bulletins applicable to Satellite models.

02-23-2005 BIOS Notice to Users of Satellite A60/A65 notebook PC: BIOS Update Recommendation

But then after that is says this

Notice to Users of Satellite A60/A65 notebook PC: BIOS Update Recommendation

Document ID: 98081622

Posted Date: 02/23/05

Last Updated: 02/23/05

Operating System: BIOS

Category: BIOS

Distribution: Public

Applicable Models: Satellite A60-S156, A60-S1561, A60-S166, A60-S1661, A60-S159, A60-S1591ST, A60-S1592ST, A60-S1591, A60-S1662, A65-S1662, A65-S1064, A65-S1065, A65-S1068, A65-S1069, A65-S1070, A65-S1362, A65-S1067, A65-S1066, A65-S1091, A65-S109, A65-S1062, A65-S1762, A65-S126, A65-S1261, A65-S136, A65-S1361, A65-S1063

Use of any software made available for download from this system constitutes your acceptance of the Export Control Terms and the terms in the Toshiba end-user license agreement both of which you can view before downloading any such software.

Issue solution survey

In extremely rare instances, your Satellite A60/A65 computer may experience overheating that could result in the deformation of the plastic casing on the upper right hand corner of the computer. The overheating and deformation occur only when the notebook is booting or resuming from standby or hibernation, and can be avoided by installing BIOS ver. 1.70, which was released on October 22, 2004, or a later version.

Below is a list of Satellite A60/A65 serial numbers which could potentially be affected by this issue. If the serial number of your Satellite A60/A65 doesn't match the patterns listed below, your notebook computer is not affected by this issue.

64******
74******
84******
94******

Resolution

Please download, and install Flash BIOS version 1.70 or later . Complete installation instructions are included in the downloadable BIOS package.

Here are the Downloads for the Satellite A60-S1592ST you selected.
Click the link to expand your search to include All Downloads applicable to Satellite models.

Public Downloads

Date
Category
Title
Download
03-24-2005 BIOS ACPI Flash BIOS version 1.90 for Satellite A60 (v1.90; 03-17-2005; 2.48M)

01-28-2005 BIOS ACPI Flash BIOS version 1.8C for Satellite A60-S156 (v1.8C; 01-25-2005; 2.48M)

12-01-2004 BIOS ACPI Flash BIOS version 1.80 for Satellite A60-S156 (v1.80; 12-01-2004; 2.48M)

11-03-2004 BIOS ACPI Flash BIOS version 1.70 for Satellite A60-S156 (v1.70; 11-03-2004; 1.64M)

it says the A60-S1592ST this number instead of the S126 THAT is said at first, see I am mixed up, Help

I ran spybot and caght smitfraud-c, webtrendslive, Zedo, mediaplex, hitbox, fastclick, doubleclick, coremetrics, click agents, casalemedia, bridgetrack, Bfast, Bluestreak, Avenue A. Inc, Advertising.com, and AbRevolver.
Spybot fixed them all

Had norton but was not updateing I uninstalled norton and put the newest AVG 7.5 ON ran a scan it was clean

ran spysweeper it was clean

ran adware it was clean

ran cwshredder it was clean

did startup inspector and stopped everything that was not needed

Have spyblaster it is up to date
have iespyad up to date
have script defender up to date

Ran Clean up for all temps, cookies and history

ran hoster and host files are ok
Windows updates are all up to date

RAN sfc /scannow and it is ok

defrag is ok
pinntech pinntech is offline pinntech has a Profile Picture
Senior Member with 893 posts.

Experience: Professional Technician
17-Jun-2007, 11:05 AM #2
Here is the link to your latest BIOS update for the laptop you listed.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...all_docs=false

Now, I own a few Toshiba Satellite laptops myself and I hate to tell you this, but I don't think the BIOS update will fix it for you. I have had my fans replaced in one of them three times already and it's getting ready to go back in again for the same thing. I have the EXPRESS SERVICE on mine, so it doesn't bother me very much at all. However, someone without an extended or EXPRESS warranty I think would PO them badly.

Hope this helps! Thanks!
Member with 2,142 posts.

17-Jun-2007, 02:16 PM #3
I will close this thread. Thank you very much. the BIOS you recommended worked fine. and your right it probably is the fan. I can set the lap top on top of something so then air can get underneath it and it never shuts down but you sent it directly on a table or desk and it starts doing it after a little while. As soon as it gets hot. Thanks
Junior Member with 25 posts.

17-Jun-2007, 03:34 PM #4
Please take are as this can also how it reacts when there is a fault with the hard drive
Member with 2,142 posts.

17-Jun-2007, 04:15 PM #5
Seems to run fine as long as air can get under it, althought it feels like it gets awful hot to me. How would make a laptop with the cooling fan on the bottom? well I guess the answer is toshiba. but it seems to work fine as long as it is up off the tale so it can get air. Any other idea's I am open for any suggestions for things to try. I looked on the Toshiba site and they also say they have a problem with these fans. This is what I got from the Toshiba site

Concerning Spontaneous shutdown

Satellite A60-A65 User's Guide (PDF) -- Page: 45
...to run at a lower performance level or cause the computer to shut down...fan may be located on the bottom of the computer. To prevent possible overheating of the CPU, make sure the air intake on the cooling fan is not...
http://askiris.toshiba.com/ToshibaSupportSite/search.do

Important information on your computer’s cooling fan
Your computer may have a CPU cooling fan that cools the
CPU by drawing outside air into the computer. The cooling
fan may be located on the bottom of the computer.

To prevent possible overheating of the CPU, make sure the air
intake on the cooling fan is not blocked. The fan draws in air
by creating a vacuum. If the fan is blocked, it could cause the
CPU to run at a lower performance level or cause the computer
to shut down. Loose items such as notebook and tissue paper,
plastic wrappers, or other similar materials can block the air
intake, preventing air from reaching the CPU. Do not use the
computer on surfaces with objects that can be drawn in by the
cooling fan.

Can anyone add anything to this or does it sound like what I am describing to you?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!