Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Blue screen, "Unbootable Boot Volume"

(!)

Member with 464 posts.

17-Jun-2007, 08:45 PM #1
Blue screen, "Unbootable Boot Volume"
Upon restarting, I'm come across a blue screen that reads, "unbootable boot volume." Once I manage to get past it my machine lags and overheats. I've been walked through a fix by DELL tech before, but I forget what it was. It used the XP disc and tapping one of the F keys at startup. Any help?
Member with 7,794 posts.

17-Jun-2007, 08:58 PM #2
Here is some information. However, if your system is overheating you better fix that first. How do you get by it?
Junior Member with 3 posts.

17-Jun-2007, 09:14 PM #3
Try this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Unmountable Boot Volume.pdf (9.4 KB, 4657 views)
Member with 464 posts.

18-Jun-2007, 09:36 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgarrett
Try this.
I can get into the Recovery Console, but then it prompts me for an admin password. I enter my XP password and it doesn't work.

I need a DOS prompt in which to enter C:\:CHKDSK \R. How can I get there if it doesn't accept my admin password? I am the only admin on this machine, by the way.

Last edited by WarmCurb; 18-Jun-2007 at 11:21 PM..
Junior Member with 3 posts.

19-Jun-2007, 01:03 PM #5
You might try one of these: (I have not used either so I cannot comment one way or the other. Use at your own risk.)

1. There is no native Windows-based method for changing the Administrator password if you've forgotten it. The best solution available is to boot your computer with a special Linux-based floppy disk, which will allow you to change your Administrator password.

This disk may be downloaded from the Web at

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html.

If the utility asks for a registry path, it is usually winnt/system32/config. Depending on where Windows is installed, you can also try windows/system32/config, windows/system, or simply windows.

2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!