Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

USB Audio CODEC

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 18 posts.

Experience: Beginner
18-Jun-2007, 09:50 PM #1
USB Audio CODEC
I bought one of those devices that you can use to hook up to a cassette player or turntable in order to save your cassettes or LPs onto cd. In order when it trys to install the file its looking for, which is USB Audio CODEC, it can't find it. It's supposed to be part of the xp system so it should be there.
In the instructions it says to change the Audio recording driver to USB Audio CODEC or USB Audio device, but I don't have the choice. It just has my computer sound driver. I don't even know if it is a driver in fact. I tried installing it on another computer and its fine on that one. I've tried putting in the Windows disk but it still can't find it. I don't know what to do. It may not even be a file... it may be a piece of code. But it means I can't run this device. Is it possible to download it from somewhere?
Computer Specs
Member with 3,235 posts.

Experience: Years of foolishness, moments of brilliance
18-Jun-2007, 10:06 PM #2
Have you clicked start, control panel, sound and audio devices, the 'sound' tab, and checked the drop-down menu under sound recording?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 18 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Jun-2007, 07:42 PM #3
Yeah I tried that but it only shows my computer's sound card file. I was told that it's actually built into the Windows xp system, but when I add my xp disk it for it to find it, it doesn't so it can't install the device. I have had no trouble with any other usb device. They've all been plug and play. This is a new device too. It's just baffling. I feel sure there must be a simple explanation. Thanks for replying on this. I'm sure most techies would be stumped.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,235 posts.

Experience: Years of foolishness, moments of brilliance
19-Jun-2007, 08:46 PM #4
You didn't say what the make and model of the device is, but this is from Audacity--regards a USB turntable, and looks similar to your issue:

"Make sure the turntable is plugged into the mains and switched on. If that does not help, close Audacity, switch off and unplug the turntable at the USB connection and at the mains. Plug it back into the USB port, and switch it on. Wait a couple of minutes then completely shut down the computer and restart. When the computer has finished rebooting, open Audacity and see if the USB device is now in the "Recording Device" list. If the turntable is still not recognised, try using another USB cable, as sometimes a faulty cable can cause this problem. If problems persist, request support from the turntable manufacturer."

I hope this helps...
Computer Specs
Member with 5,122 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Jun-2007, 09:48 PM #5
I have done many cassette tapes via my old Sony Walkman, rca cables to the puter and used the free program from www.audacity.com.
It has worked very well for me.
vicks
Junior Member with 1 posts.

16-Jul-2007, 01:07 PM #6
USB audio codec
I had this same problem with audacity and then i found this

http://www.cnet.com.au/downloads/0,2...561691s,00.htm

It saved me check it out auto installer type deal and worked liek a charm now ill be rippin my 12 inches all night..... GL

Koot
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Feb-2008, 03:40 PM #7
the solution to usb audio codec problem
In the c:\windows\inf folder there must exist two files:

wdma_usb.inf
wdma_usb.PNF

It is really the .inf file that is important. Some software seems to knock these out by renaming them to:

wdma_usbinf.bak
wdma_usbpnf.bak

I simply made a copy of the two files above and renamed the copies to the correct names, restarted my pc just to be safe, and then the USB Audio device was correctly detected next time I plugged it in.

Note that the inf file refernces the file

c\windows\system32\drivers\usbaudio.sys

which must also be present, as well as some other supporting files. But these are most likely present. So it's prob the .inf file which got renamed or deleted. You can also copy these files from another pc which has them.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!