Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Missing or corrupt startup files.

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
18-Jun-2007, 11:22 PM #1
Missing or corrupt startup files.
When I try to turn on my computer I get the message: Windows could not start because the following is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vgaoem.fon It tells me that I need to install the original CDROM to repair, but I can't find it. Am I screwed, or is there an option? I am runnig windows XP on an hp Pavillion a1130n.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,235 posts.

Experience: Years of foolishness, moments of brilliance
19-Jun-2007, 12:08 AM #2
If Windows XP cannot start
Use the following steps to replace system files from a command prompt in Windows XP:
Turn on the PC and press the F8 key repeatedly when the first screen displays.
In the Windows Advanced Options Menu screen, select Safe Mode with Command Prompt, press Enter and press Enter again to select Windows XP Home Edition.
Select Administrator, enter a password (if applicable) and wait until the command prompt window displays.
Type CD C:\ at the command prompt.
At the C:\ prompt, type expand, then the path of the compressed system file, and then the destination path (including the filename)..

expand c:\i386\vgaoem.fo_ c:\windows\system
Note the underscore character after the "o" in "Vgaoem.fo_". and the space between _ and c:
Press enter.

You receive the following message: Vgaoem.fo_
1 file(s) expanded.

Type shutdown -i

Press enter to reboot...
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Feb-2009, 01:20 PM #3
Hi, did this work for you? I just tried it but when I select Windows with command prompt I still get the same error message asking for the Windows setup disc. I'm away from home at the moment and need to try to fix it if possible.
Posted via Mobile Device
Senior Member with 2,548 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Feb-2009, 01:54 PM #4
You could try this (although I don't have that file in the System folder):

In the command window:

Copy vgaoem.fon C:\Windows\System32\dllcache C:\Windows\System

and this:

Copy vgaoem.fon C:\Windows\System32\dllcache C:\Windows\Fonts

Spaces:
After Copy
After vgaoem.fon
After dllcache
Computer Specs

19-Feb-2009, 10:09 AM #5
Hi

Thanks for that but unfortunately I can't get a command window open. It just goes to the error message. I can get to the F8 screen and I can get into the bios.

One other thing, I was on a helpline to AOL the day before yesterday setting up my router linking it to my laptop with an ethernet cable. One of the errors now when I start up is Realtech Ethernet PXE-E61 media test failure, please check cable.

I'm wondering if when I finished configuring my router and unplugged the cable somehow something's got corrupted.

So sometimes I'm getting one error and sometimes the other.
Computer Specs

22-Feb-2009, 08:12 AM #6
Hey I just got this email with waste reply??

"srikanthreddy has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Missing or corrupt startup files. - in the Windows NT/2000/XP forum of Tech Support Guy Forums.

This thread is located at:
http://forums.techguy.org/showthread...8&goto=newpost

If this reply has solved your computer problem, please be sure to visit the web address above and let us know! (It's also nice to thank the person who is trying to help you.)

Here is the message that has just been posted:
waste reply
***************"

22-Feb-2009, 09:17 AM #7
I got that too. I think I saw a reply like that a few days ago (can't remember exactly). It looks like the post has been removed.
Did you get your glitch sorted. Those commands can also be run from the recovery console.
Computer Specs

22-Feb-2009, 10:01 AM #8
That's a shame, maybe it was the solution I needed!
Glitch isn't sorted yet. I was working in a theatre in Tewkesbury and got my wife to post my XP disk there. Unfortunately Royal Mail isn't what it once was and it arrived the day after I left. So now my disk is in their hands again and I'm at home. I may well've lost the disk for good now as the theatre have said Return To Sender and put it in the post box.
I have another error now also. When I switch it on it says ERROR 0200: Failure Fixed Disk 0
It's an Acer Aspire laptop 5101AWLMi by the way.

Cheers

Dave

22-Feb-2009, 02:45 PM #9
The general consensus on this error is:
Your hard drive has failed or the drive controller on the board has failed.
Suggest you go to the website of the hard drive manufacturer (not Acer) and download their bootable drive diagnostic (usually available as a floppy or a CD). See if you can boot to the hard drive with this to run their tests.
You may wind up taking the machine to a computer repair shop
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

22-Feb-2009, 02:56 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcmusic View Post
One of the errors now when I start up is Realtech Ethernet PXE-E61 media test failure, please check cable.
This means it didn't find a bootable CD/Floppy/Hard Disk and ended up trying to boot of the network, but no cable was connected. Signs that the hard drive may be failing.

Quote:
TWhen I switch it on it says ERROR 0200: Failure Fixed Disk 0
It's an Acer Aspire laptop 5101AWLMi by the way.
It may have failed completely at this point. First thing to try is to physically remove the hard drive then re-install it. It may have gotten a bad connection from being jostled while traveling.

Jerry
Computer Specs

22-Feb-2009, 02:59 PM #11
Oh dear, sounds bad.

It says Fixed Disk 0:Hitachi then a long string of letters and numbers. I'll try Hitachi for the bootable drive diagnostic.
Thanks for that, I'll post what happens.

Dave
Computer Specs

22-Feb-2009, 03:00 PM #12
Just seen your post Jerry. It does a lot of travelling so could easily've got bashed, I'll try removing the hard drive too.

Cheers
Computer Specs

22-Feb-2009, 06:01 PM #13
OK, I took out the hard disk and replaced it but I was still getting the error messages so I downloaded the Hitachi diagnostics. I've just ran the quick and the advanced diagnostics and it passed on both. But...the laptop has switched off by itself twice and was pretty hot on the left hand side.
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

22-Feb-2009, 06:28 PM #14
Quote:
But...the laptop has switched off by itself twice and was pretty hot on the left hand side.
That's not a good sign. Could be the cooling fan/heatsink has been dislodged, or the fan has stopped working, or is clogged with dirt.

Does the cooling fan run? If it starts within seconds of turning on the PC, I'd suspect it's been dislodged. If that's the case, it can get hot enough fast enough to cause errors and prevent booting, and will (hopefully) shutdown to protect itself.

If it never comes on, it may have just failed. The heatsink will let it will run for a while, but it will eventually get hot enough to cause errors which may have corrupted some files on the disk, and then shutdown.

From the User Guide, it looks like opening the Memory compartment also gives access to the fan, so you might want to take a look.

Jerry
Computer Specs

23-Feb-2009, 10:25 AM #15
Hi

Well I've cleaned a lot of dust from around the fan but it looks in place and it's spinning. How do I know if it's dislodged, will it be obvious? As I say it looks as if it's in the right place
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!