Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet says it can go 54mbps but it goes around 30-40kbps

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Jun-2007, 04:20 AM #1
How can i change this?
Why is it doing that?
Member with 49 posts.

20-Jun-2007, 05:42 AM #2
i'm not to sure about this, but, 54mbps is your link speed
Computer Specs
Member with 1,811 posts.

20-Jun-2007, 05:44 AM #3
your internet does not run at 54Mbps... that is the speed of your connection to the modem or router... if its 54Mbps then its likley a wireless connection you have to the router as wired connections on Ethernet are 100Mbps, when connected Windows will display "Connected at 54MBps" however if you connect further away from the router it will slow down, this wont/doesnt affect your actually line speed which is a lot slower

If you tell me which ISP you have and plan it is I can tell you exactly which speed it is...
30-40 KB/s is around half-a-meg 0.5Mb internet... whilst most ISPs dont supply lower than 1Mb it is likely (like me) that you have 1,2 or 8Mb connection but your ISP (mine is AOL) reduce the line speeds at peak times (6pm-11pm sun-fri) down to 0.5MB (40-50KB/s max speed) to optimize speed for everyone but out of those hours your fastest download speed will be as below... (most ISPs like mine (AOL) advertise 'Unlimited' when in fact its not, the ISPA is onto ISPs about this...)

(respective max download speeds are 1MB=120KB/s - 2MB=240KB/s - 8MB=960KB/s (though most 8Mb connections dont reach full speed due to distance from exchange) the average 8MB connection is only actually around 4/5Mb in speed)

there is a great site for testing speeds which is very accurate (as most arent)
http://www.speedtest.net/
try this at different times and days of the week,
for e.g.
try through week after 6pm and before 6pm this way you will be able to verify your line speed is being reduced by ISP, it is highly probable that it is as most ISPs apply this procedure now to stop P2P users hoggin bandwidth and slowing internet down for all others

Of course do this without downloading anything at same time as it will affect results,
I might also add that dont just go off downloda speeds reported by Internet Explorer, FireFox or P2P application as there are many factors that affect the speed, I find using the above site the best utility to use for speed testing....

If you have a 2-8Mb connection and the speedtest site reports that its stil 40-50KB/s (upto 500kbps as the site measure is Kilobits rather than KiloBytes which IE, Ffox and P2P apps display speed in, just multplied by 8 as 8 bits in a byte)
speedtest site should report as such
1MB line speed = 120KB/s (max) = upto 1000kbps
2MB line speed = 240KB/s (max) = upto 2000Kbps
8Mb line speed = 960KB/s (max) = upto 8000Kbps (though most 8Mb average 4Mb due to location)
most ISPs will reduce speed to 0.5MB or 1MB at there set peak times, the above speeds are without restriction
hope this was of help to you

PAUL

Last edited by paulb100; 20-Jun-2007 at 05:53 AM..
Member with 49 posts.

20-Jun-2007, 05:52 AM #4
hey paulb100 can you help me understand these speed test results

I got 269kb/s in the download section and 69kb/s in the upload section

If the download test says that my downloads happen at 296kb/s, this sit is totally inaccurate, because I usually download at 33kb/s
Computer Specs
Member with 1,811 posts.

20-Jun-2007, 05:57 AM #5
yes
read aboce as i just amended my post, it is accurate enough
it displays in kilobits NOT kilobytes (which is what your IE, Ffox, P2P reports in which is ..
8bits in 1 Byte
so its correct
269kbps = (269 divided by 8) 33.62 KB/s
note that to tell whether sites or programs are displaying Kilobits or Kilobytes
is this..
kilobit = kb or kbps
kilobyte = KB or KBps or KB/s
the capital letters show whether its bits or bytes
try through week after 6pm and before 6pm this way you will be able to verify your line speed is being reduced by ISP, it is highly probable that it is as most ISPs apply this procedure now to stop P2P users hoggin bandwidth and slowing internet down for all others

Of course do this without downloading anything at same time as it will affect results,
I might also add that dont just go off downloda speeds reported by Internet Explorer, FireFox or P2P application as there are many factors that affect the speed, I find using the above site the best utility to use for speed testing....

If you have a 2-8Mb connection and the speedtest site reports that its stil 40-50KB/s (upto 500kbps as the site measure is Kilobits rather than KiloBytes which IE, Ffox and P2P apps display speed in, just multplied by 8 as 8 bits in a byte)
speedtest site should report as such
1MB line speed = 120KB/s (max) = upto 1000kbps
2MB line speed = 240KB/s (max) = upto 2000Kbps
8Mb line speed = 960KB/s (max) = upto 8000Kbps (though most 8Mb average 4Mb due to location)
most ISPs will reduce speed to 0.5MB or 1MB at there set peak times, the above speeds are without restriction
hope this was of help to you
Computer Specs
Member with 1,811 posts.

20-Jun-2007, 05:59 AM #6
if your line speed now is 33KB/s then its just under half a meg 0.5Mb
it is not in peak hours also
please state ISP and PLAN so i can determine whether there is a bar on your line
thx
PS read last post incase u miss it

the KB and kb issue is **** and i know it is...but it all started cos ISPs wanted to state the FASTEST / HIGHEST possible number for there connections so instead of saying for 2MB (2 megabits = 2million bits) they should have said 200K (200 Kilobytes even though will get slightly more...) or they could call it true... like instead of 2MB it could be 240K this would avoid having to learn about bits and bytes and people know the true download speeds as thats what most programs display download speed as...kilobytes

I can also determine your max possible speed on your line from telephone number and or post code
at BT.COM or PIPEX.. (this doesnt display what you are actually getting from ISP, this tells you what you can get)

Last edited by paulb100; 20-Jun-2007 at 06:06 AM..
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

20-Jun-2007, 07:04 AM #7
My service is centurytel dsl broadband wireless and not wireless- wireless for laptops, wires for desktop and I think its unlimited
Computer Specs
Member with 1,811 posts.

20-Jun-2007, 07:54 AM #8
i am unfamiliar with non-uk ISPs
sorry
Computer Specs
Member with 3,235 posts.

Experience: Years of foolishness, moments of brilliance
20-Jun-2007, 09:29 AM #9
My at&t dsl--they call it 3 Meg, or 3,000 kbps (375 KB/S)--tests at around 2,500 kbps (312 KB/S). The ISP states pretty clearly that that's the max download speed-not guaranteed-, and a little checking around tells me that 2.5 Meg on a 3 Meg connection is normal in this part of the US (Northern Michigan). 784 kbps (around 98 KB/S) is popular nowadays outside urban centers--cheap, and better than dialup, but not really blazing. Upload speeds will be 6 to 8 times less than download speeds.

If your plan is advertised as 784 kbps, have century tel test your phone line--the actual copper wires. Century tel operates in my area, but only in very rural areas not served by the big guys...and their lack of big competition gives them less incentive to deliver the goods.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!