Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer keeps turning off

(!)

Junior Member with 12 posts.

24-Jun-2007, 07:42 PM
Computer keeps turning off
I'm not sure whether this is a hardware or software problem so I thought I would post it here.

Basically at random times my computer just seems to lose power and shuts itself off. Ive have taken it too computer shops and had it looked at, they have done various things like change motherboard etc and none of that has helped. The last piece of advice I had was that it was probably software related and the best way to fix it would be to simply wipe the system and start from scratch but if possible id like to avoid that.

Sometimes the PC will stay on for 4/5/6hours at a time and run fine, other times after just 5 minutes it will shut itself off. Then when I try to turn it back on it won't switch on unless it is left for a while.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
Senior Member with 204 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Jun-2007, 07:56 PM
Has anyone changed the power supply?
Junior Member with 27 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Jun-2007, 08:16 PM
just a suggestion
yea i would go with what you said, wipe the drive, but put that off till last... i'd say

A. take the side door or casing off your pc, then while its running, make sure the fan is working ... or you can look for a cpu tempature program, when your cpu over heats your computer will auto shut down this has happend to me when i accidentlly disconnected my fan after replacing some parts o my computer

B. get trend micro anti virus trial version, it only works for 30 days but its a very powerful antivirus and will tell you if you have any trijans or other issues that may be causing this to happen, if you continue to have these issues after you do a scan and clear all issues... http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivir...Security.shtml

C. download http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTsetup.exe run the program & at the end you will be givven a log file, copy and paste that log file here in your reply for people to better assist you

D. if none of those work and the advice others give you dont seem to work, i'd say back up what is MOST IMPORTANT ONLY to a cd or dvd data disc & then format the computer with your reinstall cd, choose "destructive" mode where it wipes all data... then if your problems exist its another part in your computer that guy mentioned your power supply, thats a possibly issue, but not so likly since it runs for a few hours, i would say its your fans if any part when your pc shuts down put your hand onto the cooling case over your processor or onto your ram chips and see if there hot... you really had your mother board replaced by a tech ? and he didnt find any other problems? i always do what i can to avoid a tech shop if i can until theres no option and thats almost never, i'd rather buy my parts online then pay them to replace them anyway but thats just me, anyway good luck ima drink a few beers and go back to season 3 of lost on tv-links.co.uk -- later man hope i helped you some...
Junior Member with 27 posts.

25-Jun-2007, 08:49 AM
hey again
i didnt see the sometimes it shuts down after just 5 minutes... is this close to what happens? you run your computer for a while and like right after it shuts down you cant turn it on for more then 5 minutes and if you keep trying it will keep shutting down... but if you leave it off for 2-3 hours it will run for a good ammount of time again?

if this sounds like your problem to the T... i'd say its 100% the fan, leme know how this turned out for you, take care...
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 26 posts.

25-Jun-2007, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtexpne
Sometimes the PC will stay on for 4/5/6hours at a time and run fine, other times after just 5 minutes it will shut itself off. Then when I try to turn it back on it won't switch on unless it is left for a while.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
Well, when my old PC started doing something like this, it was because the power supply was failing. How old is the power supply?

26-Jun-2007, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captianjack
i didnt see the sometimes it shuts down after just 5 minutes... is this close to what happens? you run your computer for a while and like right after it shuts down you cant turn it on for more then 5 minutes and if you keep trying it will keep shutting down... but if you leave it off for 2-3 hours it will run for a good ammount of time again?

if this sounds like your problem to the T... i'd say its 100% the fan, leme know how this turned out for you, take care...
Thats exactly what is happening, after its just gone off it won't come back on at all.

After a while if it comes back on it will only last 10 mins or so, but if I leave it for days/weeks it will do a few hours usually.

So would you say the fan is most likely the answer?

As for people asking about the power supply, I bought the computer 2-3 years back and its the same one since, been no change.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 25 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Jun-2007, 12:29 PM
I JUST had this happen to a Business PC (HP) Of mine. It was under warranty, and we went through 3 power supplies and a Motherboard.

If it's still under warranty you'll want to get a fresh power supply and a fresh Motherboard.

26-Jun-2007, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikedal
I JUST had this happen to a Business PC (HP) Of mine. It was under warranty, and we went through 3 power supplies and a Motherboard.

If it's still under warranty you'll want to get a fresh power supply and a fresh Motherboard.
I tried a new motherboard but the problem persisted so I know for sure its not that.

Seems most likely at the moment it could be fan/power supply.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 26 posts.

26-Jun-2007, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtexpne
As for people asking about the power supply, I bought the computer 2-3 years back and its the same one since, been no change.
That's how old mine was when it went. The computer would just randomly lose power and shut off (not shut down, just off like the building lost power).

26-Jul-2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks for everyones advice, I've now got it fixed.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

02-Apr-2008, 12:45 PM
so - was it the power supply? i'm having the same problem. so annoying.

02-Apr-2008, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNX1976 View Post
so - was it the power supply? i'm having the same problem. so annoying.
I had a new fan and power supply fitted and its worked fine ever since so I'd suggest the same.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

02-Apr-2008, 10:03 PM
done.
works fine now!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!

WELCOME
You Are Using: Server ID
Trusted Website Back to the Top ↑