Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Installed programs no longer showing in Control Panel

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
05-Jul-2007, 08:34 PM #1
Installed programs no longer showing in Control Panel
Hello,

I had installed Yahoo messenger a few days ago. I had went into Control Panel shortly after the installation and uninstalled Yahoo Toolbar, which I didn't want. I then decided that I didn't want messenger installed either so went back into Control Panel only to find that it was not listed there. I also noticed that most programs normally found listed in there, such as MSN messenger, NHL07 & Spysweeper just to name a few, are also no longer in Control Panel yet each program works just fine. There are only very few items still remaining in there. And again this happened immediately after uninstalling Yahoo Toolbar. My question is how did this happen, and how can i get Control Panel to list these installed programs again?

Thank you,
Kevin
Senior Member with 205 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Jul-2007, 09:00 PM #2
You're sure all these were showing up before? Did you install these programs somewhere other then Program Files? If so, they won't show in Add/Remove Programs. Other then that, I would assume malware and ask this again inthe security section.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,235 posts.

Experience: Years of foolishness, moments of brilliance
05-Jul-2007, 09:12 PM #3
Microsoft says:

"CAUSE
This problem may occur if the uninstaller for a program incorrectly removes registry entries that are used by Windows and the Add/Remove Programs tool."

Try this:

Click start, run, and type REGSVR32 APPWIZ.CPL and click ok.
Senior Member with 205 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Jul-2007, 07:23 AM #4
That came from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266668, there are other solutions in the KB article in case REGSVR32 APPWIZ.CPL doesn't work, just a piggy back on The Hound's post.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,235 posts.

Experience: Years of foolishness, moments of brilliance
06-Jul-2007, 09:30 AM #5
Yep..great minds think alike. I thought we'd try the easy one before sending Kevin off to Microsoft to read about registry editing and such...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!