Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Remove computer from domain

(!)

Member with 343 posts.

09-Jul-2007, 03:08 PM #1
Remove computer from domain
How do I remove a computer from its domain from the computer itself (in other words the computer is not currently attached to the domain/network it's apart of so I can not remove it from the domain controller end)?

It's running WinXP Tablet Edition SP2

TIA
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 29 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Jul-2007, 03:13 PM #2
If you select the radio tab for "workgroup" and then give the workgroup a name and restart, the pc will not be part of the domain, however, the domain controller will still have the attributes for the pc, since it was not removed while connected to the domain (in other words, you could still add the domain to the current pc again and it will still work on that domain.)

The only way to truly remove the pc from the domain, is to have it connected to that domain's network and then change the domain/workgroup name; the change will then be registered with the domain controller. Otherwise, the domain controller will remain unchanged.
Member with 343 posts.

09-Jul-2007, 03:22 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottProdigy
If you select the radio tab for "workgroup" and then give the workgroup a name and restart...
In the Computer Name tab of System Properties control panel the option to change the workgroup is disabled/grayed out (the "Change..." button) and beneath it a message saying:

Note: The identification of the computer cannot be changed because:
- Networking is not installed or is not properly configured.

The machine has a built-in wireless (drivers are currently not installed) and ethernet card and Device Manager shows no issues with these cards

Any ideas why i get this error and how to fix it?
Member with 343 posts.

09-Jul-2007, 05:20 PM #4
nevermind. i restarted the computer and the NIC cards started working again and I was about to remove the computer from the domain.

thanks
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!