Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

XP Home - Disk Cleanup.exe has gone missing

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Jul-2007, 11:28 AM #1
Question XP Home - Disk Cleanup.exe has gone missing
I know it was here at my last login, but Disk Cleanup is no longer listed in Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools, and the shortcut that I had placed on my Desktop is gone as well. This is the second PC on my in-home network, running XP Home edition, that this has happened to within the last 9 months - I have Norton Internet Security (all current and up to date) on all three boxes - anybody know what 's going on?
Computer Specs
Member with 32,634 posts.

26-Jul-2007, 11:36 AM #2
What about when you right click your drive
choose properties
is it there

try this fix
Restore Disk Cleanup - cleanmgr (Line 84)

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Jul-2007, 01:24 PM #3
The Disk Cleanup button is on the Properties window, but it hung when I tried to run it.
This command "Restore Disk Cleanup - cleanmgr (Line 84)" seems to have restored the default settings on my sound card...Disk Cleanup is still not listed in Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools.
Member with 93 posts.

Experience: intermediate ++
26-Jul-2007, 02:12 PM #4
do a search for cleanmgr.32 - it should be in C:\windows\system32

If it is, right click it and then create shortcut and then go to the end of the system32 list and right click the new shortcut, click 'cut', then paste it to your Desktop.

edit: then go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools and Right Click on System Tools then click open then paste there also.

Rename the new entry to Disk Cleanup
Junior Member with 1 posts.

25-Apr-2008, 02:39 AM #5
disk cleanup missing from Properties
1. If you right-click a drive, select Properties, then select the Tools tab, you'll see buttons for backing up and defragmenting your disk. On the General tab, you'll also see a button labeled Disk Cleanup. By default, Win2K and later run the following programs for Disk Cleanup:
- Disk cleanup--C:\Windows\system32\cleanmgr.exe /D %c
2. Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\MyComputer
registry subkey. Under the subkey are three keys: BackupPath, cleanuppath, and DefragPath. Under each of these keys, the (Default) value specifies the program to be used. If any of the keys don't exist (by default, BackupPath doesn't exist in Win2K), go to the Edit menu; select New, Key; then enter the name of the missing key under the MyComputer subkey.
3. Double-click the (Default) value under the path you want to modify, change the value to reflect the program you want to use, (C:\Windows\system32\cleanmgr.exe /D %c) then click OK.
4. Close the registry editor.

Last edited by cybob2000; 25-Apr-2008 at 10:31 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!