Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

System Configuration Utility popup window

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Aug-2007, 01:42 PM #1
Exclamation System Configuration Utility popup window
I own a Sony VAIO VGN-FS742/W with XP Home SP2 running on it. For a week now, I've been trying to get the System Configuration Utility popup window to stop appearing everytime I bootup my machine. I've even gone as far as disable all of whats in STARTUP tab. Which didn't resolve a thing. Everytime I click on radio buttom to not showup but it still does. Is there any kind of Registry Hack that can be done to stop this?
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,092 posts.

02-Aug-2007, 06:00 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNevarez
I own a Sony VAIO VGN-FS742/W with XP Home SP2 running on it. For a week now, I've been trying to get the System Configuration Utility popup window to stop appearing everytime I bootup my machine. I've even gone as far as disable all of whats in STARTUP tab. Which didn't resolve a thing. Everytime I click on radio buttom to not showup but it still does. Is there any kind of Registry Hack that can be done to stop this?
This is normal

It sounds as if a change was made to what loads at startup using msconfig. There should be a checkbox asking if you want to continue displaying this in the future. Check or uncheck as desired. The box should disappear
Computer Specs

02-Aug-2007, 07:11 PM #3
I already did that and the popup box "System Configuration Utility" still ask me if I want to continue displaying it. All the posting's I've searched on the web says to check DISABLE ALL button. If done all of this and I still get the popup box.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,092 posts.

02-Aug-2007, 07:20 PM #4
Quote:
I already did that and the popup box "System Configuration Utility" still ask me if I want to continue displaying it. All the posting's I've searched on the web says to check DISABLE ALL button. If done all of this and I still get the popup box.
http://www.vista4beginners.com/Syste...ration-Utility
Computer Specs

03-Aug-2007, 02:31 PM #5
bicycle bill, I'm running Windows XP Home Edition not Vista. That article didn't explain anything. Thanks for trying though. I know there must be something in the register to correct this issue.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,461 posts.

03-Aug-2007, 04:07 PM #6
MNevarez, Go to the link below, click on "Win XP Fixes", click on "Disable MSConfig Selective Startup Screen" and follow the instructions.

http://www.dougknox.com/index.html

Tufenuf
Computer Specs

06-Aug-2007, 11:20 AM #7
Tufenuf, I did try "Disabling MSConfig Selective Startup Screen" followed the instructions and nothing happened. The System Configuration Utility popup still occuring. It seems that something on my system is overriding whatever I do.
Computer Specs

06-Aug-2007, 12:36 PM #8
Quote:
Tufenuf, I did try "Disabling MSConfig Selective Startup Screen" followed the instructions and nothing happened. The System Configuration Utility popup still occuring. It seems that something on my system is overriding whatever I do.
Did you restart your computer after you ran that fix?

I use "Starter" which is Free at the link below. If you wish go into MsConfig and set it to Normal Startup then download & install Starter and use Starter to disable items you wish to.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/starter.html

Tufenuf
Computer Specs

06-Aug-2007, 02:53 PM #9
Tufenuf, Yes I did restart my laptop a multiple of times. But that popup box still shows up. What could be causing this? I will try this as soon as I get home from work.
Computer Specs

08-Aug-2007, 10:29 PM #10
Tufenuf, I downloaded Starter and ran it. It's a very handy utility. But the "System Configuration Utility" popup box is still coming up everytime I reboot my machine.
Computer Specs

09-Aug-2007, 09:30 AM #11
MNevarez, The only other thing to try is to open Starter and checkmark all of the Startup items and restart your computer. Then go into the System Configuration Utility (MSCONFIG) and see if all items are now checkmarked under the Startup tab and it is set to Normal startup under the General tab. If it is then close the System Configuration Utility open Starter and uncheck the Startup items you don't want running at startup. This should eliminate that pop-up box.

Tufenuf
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 419 posts.

Experience: ...?
09-Aug-2007, 09:36 AM #12
3 things to check...

(1) msconfig - disable if you see
(2) regedit and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
delete anything which is not needed
(3) regedit and go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
delete anything which is not needed

Note: Back up registry before you go ahead and do it

best.
Computer Specs

10-Aug-2007, 05:47 PM #13
Tufenuf, Thanks for all of your suggestions. Wasn't able to get rid of the popup box. I might just have to rebuild my system from scratch (i.e. format drive) and see what happens from there.

Bogyi, Thank you also for your time.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Aug-2007, 06:14 PM #14
Mnevarez, all you need to do is put a checkmark in that box that comes up explaining you have used system config utility and click ok and you should never see it again. I don't get what is happening here.
tufenuf, are you the same guy I think from "computing.net"? Welcome you know your stuff!!!!
Computer Specs

12-Aug-2007, 05:36 PM #15
Rich-M, I've already placed a checkmark in the box of the System Configuration Utility popup. And tried everything that some of the members recommended, but nothing worked. I just don't get this. Very strange. It's like no matter what I do is being ignored. Also, whenever I perform any task in the System Configuration Utility it tells me that I'm not a administrator which I am.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!