Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Enlarged Icons

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Aug-2007, 04:04 PM #1
Enlarged Icons
The icons in the bar where the clock is look like they have been stretched out. I have provided a picture. Can anyone tell me how to change them back to normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Enlarged Icons-icons.jpg  
Senior Member with 2,548 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Aug-2007, 04:44 PM #2
Hi,

In Display Properties => Appearance tab => Advanced button
Have you tried reducing the size of 'Active Title Bar'?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,461 posts.

17-Aug-2007, 04:44 PM #3
helpme13, Follow the instructions at the link below and choose "Small Icons". Even though this shows as being for the Quick Launch bar icon size it may also correct your problem.

http://www.winxptutor.com/qliconsize.htm

Tufenuf
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 475 posts.

17-Aug-2007, 04:54 PM #4
The size of the icons in the Notification area (and Taskbar) are controlled by the size of Caption Buttons in "Display Properties."

A right click of the Desktop will offer Properties as a choice.
Left click that, and in the dialog box that opens, select the Appearance tab.

At the lower right will be an Advanced button. Push that to get to where we need to be.

In the lower section of this new window there is a small drop-down menu box.
Left click the small "v" on the right end to see all the options. Choose Caption Buttons.

Just to the right of the small drop-down menu window will be displayed the size at which these buttons are rendered. Adjust up or down as you wish, and the upper section of the dialog box will change to reflect the size change. The size of the Taskbar icons will not change until you click Apply.

When you "Apply," a small bule box will appear in the middle of the screen and say "Please Wait." For a time the desktop will dim and perhaps lose color. This is normal. After a few moments, the desktop will return to normal and the size of the icons will change.

BTW, I have my icons set to 20.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 15 posts.

17-Sep-2007, 08:39 AM #5
hi. this did help me but my taskbar itself is still bigger than normal. just looks dodgy. dunno if it's possible to fix at all.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,461 posts.

17-Sep-2007, 08:48 AM #6
SeventhWave, Right click your Taskbar and unlock it then put your cursor over the upper edge of the Taskbar untill it turns into a 2 sided arrow then hold your left mouse button down and drag it downwards till it's the size you want and release the left mouse button. You can then lock the Taskbar again.

Tufenuf
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 15 posts.

17-Sep-2007, 08:59 AM #7
hi Tufenuf. You've made that suggestion to me before it doesnt work sadly . i should really get a screen picture and post it.
thanks anyway
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 475 posts.

17-Sep-2007, 10:48 AM #8
This sort of thing is why Kelly created her tool: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Jul-2008, 03:19 AM #9
Solution... Really
You've no doubt made it here because you are baffled as to why your icons in your notification area, task bar, and the all programs icons in the start menu have become large and pixelated. Why did it happen? No one really knows for sure. I believe it happened to me one day when I held down shift for 8 secs and an accessibility window popped up asking if I wanted to turn on filter keys. "Hell no!" I said. When I closed the window, my icons blew-up. To this day I've never been able to repeat this error.

The solution? It's easy! Right click on the desktop and select properties. Next, go to the 'appearance' tab. Then select anything under 'Windows and buttons', even if it is the one that is already set. This now brings up the 'Apply' button. Hit 'Apply'!

Your icons and task bar should now be the right size. The pixelation should go away at the next restart.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: 1337
14-Aug-2008, 02:06 AM #10
I created a new account just to say how right 5kank is. I've searched all around the inter-tubes and this is and forever will be the quickest and easiest solution, not to mention the actual solution to the problem. Thanks, skank!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!