Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

New LG Monitor screen size

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Aug-2007, 07:55 PM #1
New LG Monitor screen size
I've installed the two software disks for my new LG monitor. However, I can't get the resolution to be full screen. I have a large black band at the top of my screen. Help?
Christian
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Aug-2007, 10:15 PM #2
Welcome to TSG....

This LG monitor is it a LCD screen or a CRT Type?
Computer Specs

22-Aug-2007, 07:44 AM #3
LG monitor
I can't seem to find out whether it's a CRT or what. I don't see any indication of the materials. However, it is an LG Flatron Widescreen L196W and is 19". I looked at several blogs last night on wide screen problems and saw numerous others posting a similar issue: a wide black band at the top of the screen. Also, the install says that I need resolution something like 1440 x 900 but I can't adjust my Compaq to get that high. I tried over and over but then realized that even though my system is only about three years old, I must not have that capability. Could that be the reason I can't adjust the desktop of the LG monitor to display over the entire surface screen?
Thanks,
Christian
techkid   (David) techkid is offline techkid has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 2,312 posts.

22-Aug-2007, 08:08 AM #4
Just so you know, CRT monitors are those older, chunky monitors that take up half your desk space. LCDs are the flat screen ones.

The reason that you can't adjust your settings to the 1440x900 more than likely is your video card won't support it. It doesn't truly matter in any case, though, provided the resolution you have is comfortable to you (so that everything isn't too big or too small).
Member with 644 posts.

Experience: Yes
22-Aug-2007, 08:12 AM #5
Your monitor is LCD...If the monitor needs a 1440x900 to fully display and your video card won't do that then you will have to upgrade your video card to one that will or take the monitor back and get one that will display with the resolutions you currently have available.
Computer Specs

22-Aug-2007, 08:18 AM #6
LG Monitor
Billy,

So, if I upgrade my video card, I will be able to use the wide screen monitor with a full screen? Second, what are we talking about in terms of a new video card cost and installation? Thanks....christian
Member with 644 posts.

22-Aug-2007, 08:31 AM #7
Yes, but you need to know what type card your pc has.. AGP, PCI or PCI Express.. your pc may even have on board video (integrated on the motherboard) . If this is the case you will need to see what type available slot you have. Here is a link to a card for illustration purposes. It's an AGP card. I'm not recommending that you purchase this particular one just lets you see what one looks like. Your salesperson where you got the monitor should have had you check this before getting the monitor. Regardless of where you get it make sure of two things.. it will work on your pc and has the proper resolution for a widescreen monitor. Good luck!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133151
Computer Specs

22-Aug-2007, 08:33 AM #8
Thanks, Billy. I'll check at Best Buy. My guess is that I'm going to return the monitor. I appreciate your help very much. Thanks....Christian
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

22-Aug-2007, 08:43 AM #9
If your graphics card won't do 1440x900, another option is to choose another lower resolution that has the same width to height ratio (1.6:1).
Member with 644 posts.

22-Aug-2007, 08:56 AM #10
Frank is correct, you can try other resolutions that might fill the screen. It's been my experience that lower resolution or using one other than what the monitor suggests results in fuzzy or blurred images.. If you are going to spend the bucks for a new wide screen why not get it's full potential. I personally would upgrade the card, but if that's not something you are comfortable with or don't want to spend any more money then exchanging the monitor might be the way to go.. Just my personal view.. Again, good luck!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!