Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Getting data from crashed hard drive?

(!)

Junior Member with 9 posts.

24-Aug-2007, 08:52 PM #1
Getting data from crashed hard drive?
My Sony Vaio had a file missing hal.dll file. A computer guy tried to use a boot disc to get the file and cant. Says my hard drives have crashed. And he cant do anythng because its a raid system and 2 hard drives.

suggested i call someone to remove the data. its not backed up!!!

Suggestions on where to send to remove my data?

Sunshine50
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

24-Aug-2007, 09:01 PM #2
This can be very expensive. Do you have another machine that you can connect the drives to?

Do you have a bootable XP CD? Hal.dll is not missing (probably) and you can rebuild your boot.ini file.
A "computer guy" who tried to "get" a hal.dll didn't know what he was doing. There are a number of files that could have been renamed to "hal.dll" when your XP was installed, but the file named "hal.dll' was probably not the one. And the message is rarely correct and hal.dll is not really missing.

Last edited by Elvandil; 24-Aug-2007 at 09:11 PM..

24-Aug-2007, 09:30 PM #3
data from hd
We have a laptop. Will that work?

The Vaio would not take the boot cd. He tried bringng it up in dos commands and couldnt.

What are the steps to doing this? Can we do it or mess it up?
Thanks
sunshine50
Computer Specs

24-Aug-2007, 10:48 PM #4
Mistakes in trying to fix your boot.ini won't cause you to lose your data, so you can give it a try.

Do you know what boot CD was tried? Do you have an XP CD? You probably don't have a floppy drive, but I'll ask anyway. Do you?

25-Aug-2007, 06:28 AM #5
crash
no floppy. it's only a year old-an rc210 model.

we used a windows xp boot cd. I dont have one either, the computer guy brought one.
what next? of course, we did not back up our info like we should have either
thanks
terry
Computer Specs

25-Aug-2007, 09:24 AM #6

26-Aug-2007, 03:56 PM #7
Yes my laptop can burn a cd.

26-Aug-2007, 05:32 PM #8
data from hard drive
I have downloaded the iso burner from shareware. Please advise what to do next--instructins are not clear to my husband.

What files are we to download to the burner? Is it an xp boot disk or the recovery files? Can we get my data off the hard drive?

Thankas
Terry
Computer Specs

28-Aug-2007, 10:55 AM #9
If you have the program and an iso burner, then you use the iso burner program to burn the iso file (recovery CD) to a blank CD. Then you can boot with the CD.

See if that works and then we'll look at fixing the boot.ini or whatever we need to do.

You could also try one of these media and see if any of the menu entries will boot your machine. they are both bootable and contain multiple entries for differing locations of the OS. One might work.

Bootable XP Sysboot Floppy
XP Sysboot CD Image

28-Aug-2007, 09:27 PM #10
getting data from crashed hard drive
I have done the following--

1. Downloaded XPRC.zip file from your 25 Aug "XP Recovery Console CD Image" link.
2. Extracted the XPRC.iso file
3. Opened the file file through my browser, right clicked the file, and selected burn ISO file to CD.
4. After CD burn completed I put the CD into the bad PC and rebooted the computer.
5. Initially the "press any key to boot from CD" msge came up.
6. After pressing the enter key the following (same) msge came up ---

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file. "

This is what has been coming up when the other computer guy was trying to get the system up.

Any suggestions??????????
Computer Specs

28-Aug-2007, 09:54 PM #11
Does it seem to you that pressing the key when that message comes up is doing anything? Do you have a USB keyboard? If you are using a USB kb, try a PS/2 one.

If that message still appears, then the machine is still booting from the hard drive. So we need to find out why.

If you can get into BIOS setup, try changing your boot priority so that it boots from CD before it will try to boot from HD or floppy.
Trusted Advisor with 19,684 posts.

28-Aug-2007, 09:59 PM #12
Hmm, doesn't sound like you burned the ISO correctly if it didn't boot from the CD.
What files are on the CD?
Trusted Advisor with 19,684 posts.

28-Aug-2007, 10:01 PM #13
May I ask what Raid level you were running? I am going to assume 0 because the so called computer guy said he couldn't recover the data.

29-Aug-2007, 10:12 PM #14
getting data from crashed hard drive
Elvandil--

I have a PS2 kybd. I checked the BIOS and the boot priority has the DVD/CD first. I did disable the "Boot to removeable devices" and the floppy disappeared off the priority list. Since I don't have a floppy (actually I wish I did) I left it off. I put the CD I burned yesterday back into the DVD drive (only I put it into the lower one this time) and rebooted.

Squashman --
The only file on the CD is xprc.iso. As fas as what RAID level, I don't have a clue. My knowledge of RAID comes from 20 years in the military and watching bug spray commercials. Other than that I thought it refered to something about servers.

At the moment I am looking at a Windows XP home edition setup screen asking me to either

1. To set up windows XP now, press enter.
2. To repair a windows xp installation using recovery console, press R.
3. To quit setup without installing windows xp, press F3.

What is the next step WITHOUT destroying my data files that I am, first and foremost, trying to salvage from this predicament????????
Computer Specs

30-Aug-2007, 12:07 AM #15
If you have a file named xprc.iso on the CD, you did not burn it correctly and you did not use an iso burner. It is a CD image.

How To Write ISO Files To CD
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!