Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Installshield Engine could not be launched

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Aug-2007, 08:40 PM #1
Installshield Engine could not be launched
I'm trying to avoid having to reformat my hard drive as I am unable to install any new software that requires the InstallShield wizard (engine). The error I receive is: "The Installshield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched. Class not registered" .... I started having this problem after I installed an updated version of Norton AntiVirus (NEVER will I use Norton products again!!!).

To date I have called MICROSOFT, no support because my version of windows XP is OEM, so they have you contact the manufacture. I called Sony and they followed a simple script which ended up telling me to reformat and reinstall windows.

I have gone to the installshield.com consumer site and followed all of their fixes. My system root/system 32 has the required files which are stdole32.tlb, stdole2.tlb and stdole.tlb. They also have you delete the engine folder, download and install the iKernel upddate ... however it didn't recognize the installshield engine either and wouldn't install. So, I replaced the engine folder. I checked all of my DCOM settings and they were fine. According to their site if none of their fixes work you need to contact the software vender of the package your trying to install ... which ofcourse does me no good since it's the installshield engine that is corrupt, not the install process for any of the new software. There were no other fixes on the installshield consumer site that I didn't try.

I booted my computer to the CD-ROM using the Windows XP disk, ran Repair (c:\ chkdsk /r) and that didn't correct the problem.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should just give up and buy another hard drive, have a duel boot to either the new drive or the old system. This is my work computer and there are programs that I do not have the original install disks for, and I still need to use some of the programs.

I need to do something because I'm still running Service Pack 1, afraid to install anything that may make my current system unusable. Today I bought a new camcorder and found I couldn't install the software because it required the Installshield Engine It just seems to me that there should be some way to fix this one rotten/frustrating problem without having to dump my system and start from scratch.

Any ideas would be appreciated, I've been pulling my hair out for weeks!!!
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 108 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Aug-2007, 09:04 PM #2
Try this: go to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield folder and delete any/every folder in there. Sometimes those folders hang on to old files, especially after a bad install. Try running whatever installation you tried before.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Aug-2007, 09:57 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo_nc
Try this: go to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield folder and delete any/every folder in there. Sometimes those folders hang on to old files, especially after a bad install. Try running whatever installation you tried before.
Thanks but I've already tried deleting all of the files and folders in the common files section for the installshield. That didn't make any difference, same problem and same error message after deleting the files/folders.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Aug-2007, 10:39 PM #4
Welcome to TSG....

Windows Installer 3.1
Redistributable (v2) For Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!