Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

autocheck.exe not found

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Aug-2007, 09:12 PM #1
autocheck.exe not found
Hello, my computer has been operating very slowly lately, and my computer protection software (Defender Pro 5 in 1) detected an apparently infected driver. The notification said that the driver was infected by an email virus and it recommended deleting the driver. Thinking that it couldn't cause much harm, I took the recommendation and deleted the driver. The next time I started my computer, it seemed to boot normally: it showed the normal XP home edition loading screen, then it showed the blue screen of death! The screen said something like "autocheck.exe not found. Skipping autocheck." Then my computer would restart, and it just keeps repeating like that. Can anyone give any advice?
Member with 4,910 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Aug-2007, 10:19 PM #2
Welcome to TSG ...

Can you Boot into Safe Mode
Member with 53 posts.

27-Aug-2007, 10:27 PM #3
AUTOCHECK.EXE, which is the Windows NT Server version of CHKDSK, may be deleted by your Defender Pro 5 in 1. So you can boot into safe mode, repaire the autocheck.exe by expand the source file from CD. And then reboot to normal windows.
After you reboot, I think some another missing-file error will happened. But if you can access into safe mode , you surely can repair you windows.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Aug-2007, 06:16 PM #4
Well, I appreciate the response. I've tried booting into safe mode, but when I press F8 (or any other button like F1 or F10) the screen just stays black. Here's what happens when I boot my computer: I turn the power on, the monitor shows the blue HP screen, the screen is black for a few seconds. Then the XP home edition loading screen appears. Then the screen seems like it's going to load the log on screen, but the "blue screen of death" appears with the autocheck.exe error (it says autocheck will be skipped), and then the computer restarts itself. If it helps to know, the blue HP screen has been appearing for a while and I've been able to run the computer fine.
Member with 4,910 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Aug-2007, 09:51 PM #5
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!