Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Installing an older version of windows to replace a newer one.

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 29 posts.

Experience: Some experience, but always need tech support.
13-Sep-2007, 12:39 PM #1
Installing an older version of windows to replace a newer one.
I have tried to repair/reinstall/install my Windows XP system with no luck. I asked for help in an earlier thread, and got some helpful advice, but now I have a new problem. (I'm not sure I should be starting a new thread on this; but it does seem like a separate issue to me.)

About two years ago I had the Geek Squad in to rid my computer of a deeply embedded virus. The techie said something to the effect that he was going to load a newer version of XP, which I welcomed, and thought no more about it. Now, in trying to reinstall or install or whatever it is that I'm going to do, the XP disk comes up with an error message saying that I cannot install an earlier version of XP. I don't have a copy of the newer version the techie installed. My question is: is there a way to override the can't-install-older-version block and reinstall the original XP version I have on a legally-owned disk?

Thank you for whatever advice you can give me.
Member with 10,249 posts.

Experience: Learning
13-Sep-2007, 12:43 PM #2
What's going on is that your system includes SP2 . . Your installation disc does not. Unless you are willing to do a clean install with the SP1 disc then immediately update to SP2, you can slipstream SP2 into a new installation disc

AutoStreamer will do the heavy lifting for you . .

Microsoft MCCA 2012
Computer Specs

13-Sep-2007, 02:05 PM #3
Okay, thank you simpswr. I think, at this point, and with so much wrong with my computer, I want to do a clean install. But I don't even know how to do a clean install, and since the original disk won't get beyond the error message, is that possible? By 'clean install' I understand that means everything on the C drive is wiped out and I have to reload all the programs again, correct? I've saved all my data files, but as of yet don't know how to find my .pst files, which someone told me I have to save from Outlook if I want to repopulate all the names and addresses I have back in to Outlook after a new install.

My mind is spinning with all this.

13-Sep-2007, 02:32 PM #4
To perform a cleaan install . . enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

Make sure you have the 25-digit product code for the Windows XP CD.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete any or all partitions and recreate one or more, then proceed to formating and installing XP.

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up. The prompt will appear after every reboot, but do not press any key on subsequent reboots. The setup process will continue with no action required from you.

If you do not get that message, and if you have another optical drive, try the XP CD in the other drive.

If you are installing on SATA drive, there is an additional step:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how...ws_xp_on_a.htm

This is a site that walks you thru a simulated XP installation:
http://www.echoproject.net/en/software/catalog.html

These are good guides to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print one for reference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...p_sg_clean.asp
http://www.socrtwo.info/cleanxpinstall.htm
http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_..._-_graphic.htm

Since your XP installation disc does not include SP2, you can download the full version of SP-2 and install it immediatly after installing XP, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall to download the 80 or so remaining updates

You will likely have to reload drivers (Chipset first) and then applications

If you want to save your files and settings, you can use the XP Files and Settings Transfer (FAST) wizard to create an image of them and save to cd or other removable media. These are good guides to using the FAST wizard. Just be sure you have an up-to-date antivirus before you re-instate them!

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...xp_sg_fstw.asp
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

For help entering BIOS: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

If you want to backup your Outlook folder . . do a search for *.pst, set it to look in hidden and system files and when it finds the file, copy it to removable media.

If you need more help just hollar
Computer Specs

14-Sep-2007, 08:32 PM #5
If I do clean load of Windows, will that eliminate any viruses?
Thank you, simpswr. What you posted was a big help. I have several other questions at this point, however.

(1) If I do a clean install, will that wipe out any viruses in the system? Could they possibly also be hiding in any of the tons of files that I've downloaded to my external hard drive?

(2) I have two USB sockets in the face of the computer, so I guess I have an internal USB card that should be removed. How do I go about removing it and, even before that, how do I recognize them if I take the hood off of this thing?

I hate to be such a dope that needs hand-holding, but I've never done any of this before.
I'm probably just going to have to DO it, then take whatever happens and work from there.

Once again, many thanks for your kind and generous help.

14-Sep-2007, 10:59 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NepalKat
Thank you, simpswr. What you posted was a big help. I have several other questions at this point, however.

(1) If I do a clean install, will that wipe out any viruses in the system?
Yes

Could they possibly also be hiding in any of the tons of files that I've downloaded to my external hard drive? Yes then can . . be sure to have a good up-to-date Anti-Virus installed prior to bringing them back in

(2) I have two USB sockets in the face of the computer, so I guess I have an internal USB card that should be removed. How do I go about removing it and, even before that, how do I recognize them if I take the hood off of this thing? No need to worry about those . . only if you have installed a PCI USB card should that be removed

I hate to be such a dope that needs hand-holding, but I've never done any of this before.
I'm probably just going to have to DO it, then take whatever happens and work from there.

Once again, many thanks for your kind and generous help.
You will do fine . . .
Computer Specs

15-Sep-2007, 01:07 PM #7
Can't find BIOS from Windows XP?
How do I get in to BIOS from Windows XP?
Computer Specs
Member with 94 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Sep-2007, 02:46 PM #8
You can't get in from XP, depending on your comp manufacturer, ie Dell, HP etc you have to tap the F8 or F10 key when the computer is booting up. Look at your screen when it boots up, it usually tells you.

15-Sep-2007, 07:48 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpswr
From my long post
Computer Specs

16-Sep-2007, 10:41 AM #10
My brain is bleeding. Clean reinstall XP and wireless 2nd computer connection.
I'm just about ready to do a clean XP reinstall from scratch yesterday afternoon when my wife's computer, which logs on the web via a wireless connection to my computer, which is hooked through a modem to cable access ... goes on the fritz. She can't get on. So I start fiddling with in while she fumes in the background, only to have it fail over and over again to log on to Comcast.net. Still struggling with what's wrong at that end, but it's got me wondering that if I do a clean reinstall on my computer, how's that going to effect the wireless connectivity from her computer to mine ---- provided I can even get hers up and running before I do the clear reinstall on mine?

I'll be grateful to poor old simpswr if he answers me, but I've just about worn him out with questions.

Second question, why is it I get the feeling that the great cosmic pigeon of grief has his sights locked in on my new suit, especially when it comes to things computer? I'm just about to go crying to the Geek Squad, which ain't the smartest move when you've been laid off from work ... even I know that.

Anyway, it sure is humbling, verging on the cusp of humiliation, to have to ask for so much help on this stuff----especially when you were the teenage hotrod whiz who knew how to fix anything on wheels and squeeze the last ounce of horsepower out of an internal combustion engine of any kind. (Has the world suddenly gotten more complicated?)

16-Sep-2007, 09:20 PM #11
Do you have a wireless router between your pc and the Modem??? If so, reinstalling on yours will not affect hers

28-Sep-2007, 04:52 PM #12
How did all this end?
Computer Specs

03-Oct-2007, 03:28 PM #13
I haven't done it yet. Bunch of family stuff has kept me from even getting near this thing for several weeks. Still trepidatious, but I'm going to plunge ahead on it this weekend. Thanks for asking.

03-Oct-2007, 03:38 PM #14
Jus' wonderin'
Member with 34 posts.

06-Oct-2007, 02:37 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpswr
From my long post
Thanks simpswr....that is all i need...great job...buddy...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!