Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API

(!)

Member with 28 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Sep-2007, 05:17 PM #1
Exclamation Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API
Hi I have an Acer TravelMate 2303LC laptop. Yesterday I realised I was out of space on the C: drive (6MB I think) and was planning to delete/move files to free up space tonight. However after switching it on today it comes up with the lsass.exe system error - 'insufficient system resources exist to complete the API'. It only offers the choice of OK and when you click this it restarts and comes up with the same error again, and you can repeat this forever! Please can someone help with this as I have no idea what to do or what could be causing the problem.

Thanks,
Andy
Member with 3,202 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Sep-2007, 06:25 PM #2
have you tried booting into safe mode...if you can...use safe mode to clear out some of the junk...burn stuff you need to keep to dc/dvd's or a external hard drive...

you can clear out about a half gig of "trash" using ccleaner
To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you!Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Click on CCleaner to start it. Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

turn off indexing...

1. Open up "My Computer"
2. Right-click on your hard drive (usually "C:") and choose "Properties"
3. Uncheck the box at the bottom that reads "Allow Indexing Service to..."
4. Click OK then the files will be removed from memory. This removal may take a few minutes to complete, but it's worth it.

You will also need to disable the indexing service here too:

1. Go to "Start", then "Run"
2. Type "services.msc" and press enter
3. Scroll-down to "Indexing Service" and double-click it
4. If the service status is "Running", then stop it by pressing the "Stop" button
5. To make sure this service doesn't run again, under "Startup Type:", choose "Disabled"

after cleaning it out some... try defragging...you need 15 % free space to do this

Last edited by happyrck; 21-Sep-2007 at 06:30 PM..
Member with 28 posts.

22-Sep-2007, 04:06 AM #3
I have and frequently use CCleaner, but how do I get into Safe Mode? By the way I think I forgot to say I have Windows XP. It gets as far as the blue Windows loading screen but then comes up with the error!
Member with 3,202 posts.

22-Sep-2007, 08:29 AM #4
instructions on getting in to safe mode here....
Member with 28 posts.

24-Sep-2007, 04:22 AM #5
Thanks that link was helpful and I managed to get in using safe mode and free up a bit of space. However I seem to free up space and then the next time it's disappeared. I don't know why I have this problem since I had GBs of photos on my C drive until recently when I burnt them to CD and moved them off, and I haven't installed anything recently and the space has just gone, even after moving my documents to the D drive. I've started scans on kapersky, housecall and panda activescan to eliminate the possibility of a virus but so far they haven't detected anything.

Having looked at the size of the folders on my overcrowded C drive, I've found that the 2 main offenders are the Windows folder (7.58GB) and Program Files (1.65GB). Is there a way to cut down on the size of the Windows folder such as reinstalling it, deleting folders or uninstalling all updates and only reinstalling the very latest updates (if that's possible)?

Any suggestions about how to free up more space? I use Ccleaner regularly and unistall programs I don't use.

I'm seriously considering reformatting my entire laptop if that's possible. What do you think?
Member with 3,202 posts.

24-Sep-2007, 08:16 AM #6
it may be hiberfil.sys...go here to see how to clean it out...if that doesn't help then a complete reformat is probably a good idea at this point....just back up all your data first...including your bookmarks
Member with 28 posts.

26-Sep-2007, 05:54 AM #7
Thanks that did free up a few hundred MB so I've got about a GB free now. OK at the weekend I'm going to completely reformat my laptop. However I've never done this before and not completely sure about what I'm doing! I want to format both C and D drives and start from scratch. I have 4 CDs supplied with the computer when I bought it, these are:

XP Home CD1&2 (Recovery CDs)
Norton Antivirus 2004
System CD

What is the difference between the recovery and system CDs and how do I go about starting afresh? I'm also concerned about any authorisation codes I may have to enter - the only codes on the recovery and system CDs read P/N: RD.T5_ _ _ . _ _ _

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm a beginner so as much as clearly as possible would be great!
Member with 28 posts.

26-Sep-2007, 06:12 AM #8
Sorry my mistake just found the authorisation code on the COA on the underside of the laptop
Member with 28 posts.

29-Sep-2007, 01:22 PM #9
I've reformatted my hard drive and will shortly reinstall any previous programs. However I've noted that both partitions (C and D) are FAT32 - should these be NTFS instead? What's the difference and which is recommended (and how to I change them)?
Member with 3,202 posts.

01-Oct-2007, 09:05 AM #10
NTFS is the recommended way...you should have asked before you formated the drive ..windows asks which file system you want ...go here to see how to convert it to NTFS
Member with 80 posts.

01-Oct-2007, 09:15 AM #11
I couldn't help but notice you are said they are FAT32 but they should be NTFS...

I have a D and C and they are both FAT32 is that bad? I have never heard of NTFS
Member with 80 posts.

01-Oct-2007, 10:00 AM #12
Quote:
turn off indexing...

1. Open up "My Computer"
2. Right-click on your hard drive (usually "C:") and choose "Properties"
3. Uncheck the box at the bottom that reads "Allow Indexing Service to..."
4. Click OK then the files will be removed from memory. This removal may take a few minutes to complete, but it's worth it.

You will also need to disable the indexing service here too:

4. If the service status is "Running", then stop it by pressing the "Stop" button
5. To make sure this service doesn't run again, under "Startup Type:", choose "Disabled"
When I click properties on my hard drive all it comes up with is the space on the disk and some other options but no tick box about indexing.
Member with 3,202 posts.

01-Oct-2007, 10:03 AM #13
NTFS is much faster in locating files because of its B-tree structure. Now I know this means nothing to you unless you are a programmer. but if you go here it might make more sense to you.....also here
Member with 3,202 posts.

01-Oct-2007, 10:05 AM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesom
When I click properties on my hard drive all it comes up with is the space on the disk and some other options but no tick box about indexing.
then do this ...
Member with 80 posts.

01-Oct-2007, 10:08 AM #15
It is already on stopped

Thanks Anyway.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!