Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Desktop shortcuts not working.

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Oct-2007, 02:03 PM #1
Solved: Desktop shortcuts not working.
I've developed a problem where my desktop shortcuts (not all, but most) do not work. Instead they launch an error box that states: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

I have checked and I do have the correct permissions. I can right-click/select properties/find target and open the files fine from there. The shortcuts affected are my destop, and start menu ones. I've tried running system restore back as far as I can, and this hasn't fixed anything as this problem has existed for a little while.

I've searched and read through most results here, with no fix working so far.

Last edited by phantoms; 14-Oct-2007 at 02:45 PM..
Computer Specs

14-Oct-2007, 06:26 PM #2
I've have 4 accounts on this XP machine. 2 Administrator, 1 user and 1 guest. The created (not default) administrator account is giving me the problems. In the other accounts, I've tried creating shortcuts to the same programs that are giving me problems and they work fine.

In the account that's giving me problems, I've triple checked and all privileges are correct. I can launch the program by right-clicking the shortcut and selecting properties, then going to find target and launch the actual exe. But even trying to create new shortcuts to some of these programs produces the same result with the same error.

I'm to the point that I'm considering just renaming this account, and then creating a new one with the same settings. I want to know what I'll loose by doing so, what settings I can copy over, etc.
Computer Specs

14-Oct-2007, 07:37 PM #3
After trying to migrate this account to another, I'd rather not go that route if I don't have too.

This account is used to install everything on this computer. Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix the shortcuts not working from the desktop and start/programs menus?
Computer Specs

14-Oct-2007, 08:26 PM #4
Found the problem, though I don't know how it happened.

In the Documents and Settings folder for the user account in question, the Desktop folder was in the Cookies folder. I noticed this after comparing shortcuts against each other. Those that worked were under AllUsers/Desktop, while those that didn't were under the useraccount/cookies/desktop. New shortcuts were created under this too. I noticed this on the General tab of the shortcut properties. Moving the desktop folder out from cookies and back under the username took care of the problem.

This has really took a load off of me.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!