Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

EabUsb.sys file on Compaq m2000 laptop/notebook

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Oct-2007, 12:19 AM #1
EabUsb.sys file on Compaq m2000 laptop/notebook
Hi,
I have a problem that many other users have written about but Compaq refuses to assist with.

If you have a Compaq m2000 laptop,
exactly where (full dir path) is the file
eabusb.sys
found on your machine?

=== WHY I ASK ===
Without this file, after the Win XP Re-install the laptop keyboard is totally disabled so the whole machine is unusable. Compaq refuses to provide the file (it is their file!) and won't help find the file on the machine I can't log into.

The Compaq Win XP "repair" install program looks for this file in
C:\Program Files\hpq\Quick Launch Buttons
**It is not there.**

HP support advises it located in
C:\windows\system32\drivers\eabusb.sys
**It is not there.**

Compaq refuses to provide this file and instead simply says to do a full install after deleting the contents of my hard drive. What a lousy answer to a simple problem cause by their "repair" XP install program that can't find their sys file.

I tried searching for the file using DOS, after booting to DOS (the only thing the computer can do, the keyboard is disabled once Windows boots), but the laptop seems to have an old or limited version of DOS and I can't figure out how to search all dirs on it for the file. The DOS command
dir eabusb* /s
is not a "legal command")

Thanks if you can help.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

23-Nov-2007, 01:15 PM #2
I am having the same problem
I am having the same problem with respect to repairing my compaq desktop and can't find the eabubs.sys file? Did you have find a resoluation? I really don't want to reinstall the hardware. Please email a response directly to my email at hersh222@yahoo.com. Thanks.
Member with 229 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Nov-2007, 01:56 PM #3
Quick Launch Drivers
Download the Quick Launch drivers here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...os=228&lang=en
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Nov-2007, 09:03 PM #4
EabUsb.sys file
I did find a fix thanks to no one at Compaq (I'll never buy another one after this disappointing incident).

Download the "Quick Launch Button" Driver from the Compaq support site onto **another** PC (I couldn't do this on the Compaq laptop because the problem was its keyboard was disabled.)

"Install" the driver on the other machine. I did this on a Dell desktop and it caused no harm. Search the dell deskyop for EabUsb.sys. Copy this tiny file onto a memory key.
Put the memory key into the problem Compaq laptop.

Re-commence the clean Win XP install. When it gets to the screen saying it can't find the EabUsb.sys file ..... Browse to the memory key holding the file and voila, the XP install will finish correctly.

Shame on Compaq for:
a) not simply sending me this tiny file OR
b) not providing a simple fix process as I've explained above. Took me three days (I'm not a computer professional) to figure this out and nearly had to pay to resurrect my laptop due to Compaq's fault re-install CD.

Good luck!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!