Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Please educate me

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Oct-2007, 04:17 PM #1
Please educate me
Straight up - I dont use XP systems so I need to know this.

When installing from XP system CD I was prompted for a username. OK - and as many as five if I wanted, as the final step of the installation process. It was not an option, I had to enter one.

But now talking to other users of XP they tell me they dont see a welcome screen or any login.

How come? Why did their initial useage of their computer not force them to create an account.?

This all falls on a prior posting here which may/may not be deleted by the forum moderator but its all pertinent to what to do when an XP dies and the user had no recovery disk (I assume her having one might have saved me)

So please educate me - Are accounts in XP mandatory and IF NOT what was I doing wrong? Would a recovery disk fix having a busted keyboard driver?
Computer Specs
Member with 3,235 posts.

Experience: Years of foolishness, moments of brilliance
22-Oct-2007, 05:06 PM #2
Yes, a user account is necessary in XP.

If you wish to boot straight to your account without the login or welcome screen, try this tip from pchell.com:

To Login automatically to a user account, follow the instructions below:

Click Start, Run, and type control userpasswords2

Highlight the user account you want to log into automatically, then uncheck the box for
"Users must enter a username and password to use this computer"

Click on Apply and you'll be asked to verify the username and password to log in automatically

Click OK and the next time you restart your computer, you'll automatically be logged in without having the classic prompt or Welcome Screen.

As for the keyboard driver, I'd click Start, Run, type devmgmt.msc and click ok.
Click the plus to expand Keyboards.
Right click and uninstall the keyboard listed.
Reboot, and let Windows rediscover and reinstall the keyboard driver, or if you have a specialized keyboard, install the driver from your own media.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!