Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

moving emails to a folder in an external hard drive

(!)

Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 1,343 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Oct-2007, 07:55 PM #1
moving emails to a folder in an external hard drive
I have done this before but I have forgotten how can someone tell me how to move my important emails to a folder in my external hard drive prior to a reformatt. Thank you.
Computer Specs
Member with 82 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Oct-2007, 08:04 PM #2
what kind of external do you have? I have a Seagate 320 that runs in the background and automatically backs up any changes or additions to the files I have it watch. Since I don't know what brand you own, all I can suggest is open up your external, and have it backup the file with the emails in it. Mines very dummy proof (the reason why I bought it!) ;o)
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

23-Oct-2007, 09:30 PM #3
You haven't said your email program but assuming OE, open it. Tools, options, Maintenance and Store, then move the actual store to the external drive....or in OE File, Eport, Messages and you can export a copy of the folder to the external drive.
Computer Specs

24-Oct-2007, 07:17 AM #4
Green sleeves I have a 250gb medion hard drive thanks for your help but I find Rich-M's solution more to my way of thinking. Thanks Rich.M I have followed your instructions and it seems very easy, maybe to easy, I have a question I have now got outlook express on my F:\ drive which is my external hard drive when I do a reformatt will I be able to open this and find all my emails there as they are now?
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

24-Oct-2007, 07:50 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony007
Green sleeves I have a 250gb medion hard drive thanks for your help but I find Rich-M's solution more to my way of thinking. Thanks Rich.M I have followed your instructions and it seems very easy, maybe to easy, I have a question I have now got outlook express on my F:\ drive which is my external hard drive when I do a reformatt will I be able to open this and find all my emails there as they are now?
Yes you will but to be safe, I would shut off the external while you reformat and then start it again after you are done to be safe. If you moved the store then you will have to just set it up in the new Windows as the store again and if you exposrted the file you will simply now import the messages and address book by "File" "Import". I leave my message store on another hard drive just for safety sake anyway all the time.
Computer Specs

24-Oct-2007, 12:28 PM #6
Thanks very much yes when I reformatt I always disconnect the external drive.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!