Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Help! Run>CMD will not get me to C:\

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Oct-2007, 10:58 PM #1
Help! Run>CMD will not get me to C:\
Whenever I access "Run" then enter "CMD", I get C:\Documents and Settings/user. I'm obviously trying to access the "C" drive alone but cannot. I've been through the Search; perhaps my search description/terminology is incorrect so cannot find the solution.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Oct-2007, 11:03 PM #2
Welcome to TSG....

To download HJTsetup.exe from TrendSecure To Download HijackThis go to the following at the File Repository
Click on the link below to Download HijackThis Self Installer:

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...HJTInstall.exe

Save the file to your desktop.
Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
A security expert with a gold shield to the right of their name should take a look at your log - please be patient.

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,393 posts.

26-Oct-2007, 11:05 PM #3
Mine too. Just type cd\ at the prompt and it will drop you into the c:\> nomatter what directory you're in.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

26-Oct-2007, 11:08 PM #4
Dr. Chauncey Please start a new thread your might be a totally different fix and it is difficult to keep track of two peoples problems in one thread.
Junior Member with 9 posts.

27-Oct-2007, 12:05 AM #5
Dr. Chauncey is correct if this is XP. 98SE started you at C but XP does not. You have to type cd\ at the prompt. That puts you in C:

I was very puzzled about this when I moved from 98SE to XP several years ago. I too could not find an answer in Help for XP or doing a search on Google, etc. I finally had to ask in the Microsoft Help forum at my home site. It's because XP is a multiuser OS and while there could be more than one user registered on 98SE it was basically not a multiuser OS.
Trusted Advisor with 19,643 posts.

27-Oct-2007, 12:09 AM #6
I read his problem as he wants the cmd windows to open at C:\

He just needs to learn the darn DOS commands.
Or he could load the XP Power Toy "Open Cmd Window here"
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
27-Oct-2007, 05:57 AM #7
Right click on the shortcut for the command window on the start menu.

Select Properties.

In the "Start in" field, just enter:

c:\

27-Oct-2007, 07:40 PM #8
What shortcut for the command window on the start menu? I don't have any such shortcut. I can reach the command window only from Start/run/cmd. I have XP Pro SP2. I looked at Customize Start Menu (Classic View of course...can't stand XP cartoon look LOL) to see if at some time I had deleted that short cut but no. I have never seen such a shortcut.

Last edited by Mele20; 27-Oct-2007 at 07:46 PM..
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,393 posts.

27-Oct-2007, 07:45 PM #9
It's in All Programs>Accessories... Usually. But changing the "start in" field will only work for this shortcut, accessing it from run will still drop you in C:\Documents and Settings\%username%>. Run calls cmd.exe from the Windows\system32 folder, but there is no "start in" field in the properties of the actual program. oh well. cd\ will have to work for now.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,235 posts.

Experience: Years of foolishness, moments of brilliance
27-Oct-2007, 08:13 PM #10
You could also click start, my computer, Local Drive C:, Windows folder, system 32 folder.

Right-click cmd.exe, point to Send to, and click Desktop (create Shortcut).

Right click the shortcut, left click properties, and on the Shortcut Tab, in the Start In line, type C:\ (as suggested by Rollin' Rog...

Now you'll have a shortcut on your desktop which opens a command window at the root of the C: drive.

27-Oct-2007, 08:53 PM #11
Thanks Chauncy. I found it but I don't want to access it from Accessories. I like accessing the command window from Run but I don't like where it starts.

The Hound, I tried that and then tried putting the shortcut on the Start Menu. That doesn't work. But I was able to do the second best thing and put it on Quick Start (which I use a great deal) and from there it starts at C:\.
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
27-Oct-2007, 09:41 PM #12
Don't know why you couldn't pin it to the start menu -- that's what I do -- but quicklaunch is good too and even quicker if you use it a lot.

The context menu for the command in accessories allows you to pin or unpin from the start menu.

28-Oct-2007, 05:28 AM #13
Maybe because of classic start I can't pin it? Right click on the command in Accessories gave me only "send to Desktop" which I did and then I opened Start/Properties/Customize and added it to Start. When it was a shortcut on the Desktop, it opened to C:\ but strangely, when I added it to Start, it opened to C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!