Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Deleted RECYCLER folder on USB flash drive...

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 55 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Oct-2007, 11:18 PM #1
Deleted RECYCLER folder on USB flash drive...
I accidentally deleted the RECYCLER (or maybe RECYCLED, I can't remember which) folder off my USB flash drive, and now when I delete any file off the flash drive, it disappears into the ether instead of going into the Recycling Bin. How do I get the RECYCLER (or RECYCLED) folder back? I'm using XP SP2. Thanks...

John
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,393 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Oct-2007, 11:30 PM #2
What kind of flash drive is this?
Manufacturer/model/capacity
Account Disabled with 5,809 posts.

26-Oct-2007, 11:47 PM #3
what difference does the mfg/type/cap make?

create the folder again.

this isn't the recycle bin that xp uses.
Computer Specs
Member with 55 posts.

27-Oct-2007, 12:12 AM #4
How do I create the folder again? Just like any other folder? And do I call it RECYCLER or RECYCLED?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,393 posts.

27-Oct-2007, 12:17 AM #5
I don't think I've ever seen a USB flash drive with it's own recycle bin, external USB harddrives yes. Perhaps this was an extra program specific to your flash drive's model.
Computer Specs
Member with 55 posts.

27-Oct-2007, 12:31 AM #6
It's the RECYCLER folder, not the recycle bin exactly. I think every drive has one, doesn't it? You normally don't see it because it's hidden (it's in the root directory), but I set folder options to show all hidden files and folders. All I know is that now when I delete a file, it doesn't go into the recycle bin like it should. I have to use a recovery program if I want to undelete the file.

By the way, it's just a store brand (MicroCenter) 1GB USB flash drive.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,562 posts.

Experience: is the name we give our m
27-Oct-2007, 05:11 AM #7
connect the usb drive. right click on the recycle bin, properties, change the GLOBAL setting from 'use one setting for all drives' to 'configure drives independently'. now click the tab for your usb drive letter, clear the box 'do not move files to the recycle bin' and apply settings. go back to GLOBAL, set it back to 'use one setting for all drives' and apply again.
Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

27-Oct-2007, 07:20 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylights
It's the RECYCLER folder, not the recycle bin exactly. I think every drive has one, doesn't it? You normally don't see it because it's hidden (it's in the root directory), but I set folder options to show all hidden files and folders. All I know is that now when I delete a file, it doesn't go into the recycle bin like it should. I have to use a recovery program if I want to undelete the file.

By the way, it's just a store brand (MicroCenter) 1GB USB flash drive.

So why not u format your USB again? It will come back rite? Or borrow from ur buddies and get the files for fast solution.

And just share it with us ....

MicroCenter, sorry i don't have it. I use Kingston 1GB stick.
Computer Specs
Member with 55 posts.

28-Oct-2007, 03:51 AM #9
Oracle, that's a great idea, except there is no tab for my USB flash drive. I tried rebooting and that didn't help either. The drive is shown in My Computer, so I dunno...

indranx, I also thought that formatting would bring back the RECYCLER folder, but it didn't. In fact, I realized after doing a full reformat that this ruined my opportunity to use a file recovery program to bring back the RECYCLER folder.

I'll ask around for someone with a flash drive, but there has to be a way to resolve this on my own. Any other ideas?

Last edited by skylights; 28-Oct-2007 at 11:16 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!