Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer restarts every 5-10 seconds

(!)

Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Oct-2007, 08:41 AM #1
Exclamation Computer restarts every 5-10 seconds
My computer for some reason restarts like every 5-10 seconds or so. What's sad it took me a few days to realise this

Ok seriously now this makes no sense I mean what happend is this,

I accidentally bumped into my computer and and My screen smeared and I mean I literally barley bumped into it.

So I restarted it and it got to the XP logo and I told myself I knew it was fine and I needed to go to bed so I went ahead and turned off the computer.

The next day I started my computer and nothing happend. The monitor appeared as it does when the computer is off and it made this little annoying noise that eventually led

me to realise that the noise was the one happend when the computer restarted so now for some reason my computer is constantly restarting.

My computer has messed up a dozen times over the last few years some internal and physical I've always picked the problem out and so this is the first one that I have no ideah how to fix.

I should also mention when I hooked the cd player up it worked and then I messed around it stopped again. I'm guessing it may possibly be a wiring problem.

Also I checked the cords to make sure that it wasn't unhooked and it appears to be fine.

Thanks For spending about 60 seconds of your time reading this
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,562 posts.

Experience: is the name we give our m
27-Oct-2007, 08:46 AM #2
Welcome to TSG

open your computer case and make sure all add-on cards, memory modules and cable connectors are seated properly.
Member with 3,477 posts.

27-Oct-2007, 08:52 AM #3
With a Dell, hold down the FN when you power on and run the on-board diagnostic test. See what errors you get.

27-Oct-2007, 09:03 AM #4
Like I said my monitor won't do anything. You know how it looks when you shut it down and no power going to it? The monitor will do nothng at all it's as blank as when it's off nothing at all that's why I posted I have no clue why it's doing this. Restarts about 6 seconds after powering on and even in that 6 seconds the monitor shows nothing.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Oct-2007, 09:13 AM #5
Could we have some information about the computer like make and model and whether it is a dasktop or laptop?

27-Oct-2007, 09:49 AM #6
Desktop FTW, I hate laptops

2.66ghz
1gb of memory
128mb Video Card
500gb Hardrive (Made by Maxtor)
Motherboard is made by Elitegroup.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Oct-2007, 11:59 AM #7
I have to agre with the other person who said, "Take the cover off with the computer powered-off and make sure the RAM and other boards are tightly plugged into their prospective slots."

From what you are describing the bump was not a lite bump it really must have been a good solid whack.

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.

27-Oct-2007, 12:31 PM #8
No I mean a bump literally and everythings secure I've already tried that and I already said after I bumped it started up I just closed it down because I had to go to bed and I started it up the next day and it didn't work, I'm almost wanting to assume there is a short in the cables seeing how it worked for a short time.

31-Oct-2007, 04:30 PM #9
Still messed up somone please help lol
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!