Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Code 28 - PCI Simple Communications Controller

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Nov-2007, 09:04 PM #1
Code 28 - PCI Simple Communications Controller
Windows XP SP2

Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager->Other->PCI Simple Communications Controller shows Code 28. The 2 CDROM drives attached to PCI1 are not recognized and their drivers show not installed. The 2 hard drives attached to PCI0 work fine.

This, of course, used to work. Must have been bad for a while since System Restore doesn't save enough restore points to go back and correct. I use the CDROM drives rarely.

Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn shows the CDROM drives so not a hardware problem.

Help! Thanks, in advance.

Dave
Trusted Advisor with 19,648 posts.

08-Nov-2007, 10:34 PM #2
Well the drivers should be builtin to the OS. The PCI Simple Communication controller is probably a modem. If you have broadband that really doesn't make a difference.

Do you have a red or yellow sign next to your Cdrom's in Device manager?
I would try removing them from device manager and reboot the system. Windows should see the devices again and reinstall the drivers.

If that doesn't work I found this information on another website.
Quote:
Start Registry Editor (Start, Run and type in regedit then click)

Find "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" (and "UpperFilters.bak" "LowerFilters.bak", if they exist) value under the following key in the registry, and delete it:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Quit Registry Editor.

Reboot.

NOTE: You might need to reinstall any CD recording apps you have, if they start to not work completely, after doing this.

Last edited by Squashman; 08-Nov-2007 at 10:40 PM..

08-Nov-2007, 10:41 PM #3
And sure enough there is a MS KB article about non working cdrom drives.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Nov-2007, 12:04 AM #4
I'm giving a very detailed story on what happened so please read carefully.

Mysteriouser and mysteriouser.

I uninstalled both DVD/CD-ROM drives - NEC DVD+-RW ND-3450A and HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B as well as the PCI Simple Communications Controller using Device Manager.

Shutdown (not reboot) and when XP came back up sure enough "Found New Hardware" for all three CD/DVD devices and the PCI Simple Communications Controller. In fact XP enjoyed finding the new CDROM hardware so much it gave me the message three times. But no "Found New Hardware" dialog to load a driver and, sure enough, no change in Device Manager. Still little yellow exclamation points for both CDROM devices.

I should have mentioned in the original post that I also tried the following before posting:
Properties->Driver shows Provider, Date, Version, Signer just like everything was OK. Driver details gives 6 entries including C:\WINDOWS.0\system32\cdrom.sys and 5 more. "Update Driver" says "Can't find anything better."
"Roll back driver" gives "No driver files backed up"
Properties->Details all look the same as an almost identical Dell Dimension 2400

Now on to the PCI Simple Communications Controller. "Found New Hardware" only once. Then the "Found New Hardware Wizard". Install driver automatically, search the Internet and guess what? No driver found and the little yellow exclamation point is still there. I really don't care so much about this problem even though it is annoying and mysterious. BTW, I have no modem in the system.

The other post referring to a Microsoft article does not apply. The error codes referred to in that article are totally different.

I'll exhaust all other avenues and do more research before trying the registry modification.

Thanks for your patience.

09-Nov-2007, 12:25 PM #5
From what I researched on the web yesterday the error code 28 is similar to your error code 31 and the registry edits should fix the problems. That is why I posted those links. As a precaution always backup your registry first.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!