Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

System idle process takes up 99 percent of CPU, 28k of memory

(!)

Member with 31 posts.

14-Nov-2007, 09:10 PM #1
System idle process takes up 99 percent of CPU, 28k of memory
My computer has been struggling lately, and Iíve already removed a bunch of stuff that runs in the background. The computer starts whirring and everything slows down. When I look at the running processes, Firefox usually takes up the most RAM and the System Idle Process the least, but the System Idle Process is taking up 99% of the CPU. Even when my computer isnít whirring away Windows Task Manager still reports that the System Idle Process is taking up 90+ percent of the RAM.

Iíve got Avast, Zone Alarm, and Iíve run both Lavasoft and Spybotís Search and Destory and have found nothing. Any other suggestions as to how I might figure out what the problem is?
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor - Gone but never forgotten with 8,684 posts.

14-Nov-2007, 09:59 PM #2
When the processor is not being used 100% by active programs, the "left over" % is absorbed by the "System Idle Process".

Thus, if it is sitting at 99% your PC is doing nothing.
Member with 31 posts.

15-Nov-2007, 11:43 AM #3
Glad you cleared up that mystery! Thanks. But I'm still left with the issue of my computer slowing down periodically. It seems to be doing stuff, it whirs (which is either a hard drive or fan going), and when it gets through with that then I can proceed again. I remember svchost occupying a lot of resources at least once when I looked, but that apparently is a legitimate Windows program, and the scans I've done don't detect a thing wrong with it. So . . . ?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,461 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Nov-2007, 11:46 AM #4
fharvey, It could be something like Windows automatic updates or your Anti-virus Program automatic updates, etc.

Tufenuf
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!