Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: WIN XP laptop install -no HDD found

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Advanced Software, intermediate hardware
18-Nov-2007, 01:45 PM #1
Solved: WIN XP laptop install -no HDD found
Greetings all. I hope someone here can help me with my problem. I am quite familiar with desktop hardware and some software issues, so this is quite a conundrum for me. My knowledge is usually regarding older desktops and OS Systems (stuff not using firewire, but IDE, for example)

1) Introduction: Basically, I purchased a newly refurbished laptop HP Compaq NX7400 on Friday. I had them deliver it with no software as it reduced its price and I don’t like vista yet. When I went to install an OS (XP PRO SP1) it gave me an error message as follows:
“Setup did not find any HDD installed in your computer.

Make sure any HDD are powered on and properly connected to your computer and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup can not continue. To quit setup press F3.”

2) attempts to fix:
A) I formatted and partitioned my hard drive using Western Digital’s Data Life Guard (DLG) it was an 80 GB hard drive. Okay so there is one there. But the odd thing was that it was registered as a BIOS hard drive? I am not sure on this…

B) retried windows XP with SP1. okay, same error message. Okay maybe it was because I tried to partition the HD.

C) reformat and erase partition. Try again. Failed as I got the same error message.

D) checked the BIOS. And recognized that there was no apparent HDD listed. However, one option was to do a hard disk check. When I ran it, it would have taken 48 minutes to complete, which was something that told me there was one in there somewhere?

E) bios boot order of operations I can give, if you need it. Number 5 was notebook hard drive.

3) solutions? I have no ideas and I even tried odd things like installing freedos and win2k. I am still right now working on the dos install, but win2k gave me the same error message. Let me know what direction to look, please!

Thanks much,

B. Walseth
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
18-Nov-2007, 02:16 PM #2
What are the other boot options?

What make/model of machine? Is the drive SATA or PATA?
Computer Specs

18-Nov-2007, 02:21 PM #3
it is an HP Compaq NX 7400. i am not sure what hard drive configuration is. how would i check?
the boot operations are:
1: optical drive
2. USB CD ROM
3: USB Floppy
4: USB super disk
5: Notebook HD
6: USB Hard Disk
7: Network Controller
Computer Specs

18-Nov-2007, 02:56 PM #4
Are any hard drives listed in the BIOS anywhere? (I realize that Compaq BIOS is not too informative or changeable.)

That machine has a SATA drive. So, when the message appears at the bottom to press F6 to load drivers, you need to load your SATA driver from a floppy. It should be available from Compaq, or the HD manufacturer.
Computer Specs

18-Nov-2007, 03:03 PM #5
excellent, thank you. the hard drive is a seagate. it plugs in directly to the PC card. on the hard drive it says "serial at disk drive". i will try to install the driver from a cd rom, if that will work. or else do i need to get an external floppy drive?
Computer Specs

18-Nov-2007, 03:21 PM #6
It can be done from CD. There are a couple threads about that in this forum, so do a search. If you don't find it, I'll loo later. Or maybe someone will pop in to help.

An external floppy might work, but only if you can access it from the BIOS/boot CD without any drivers. So I wouldn't go buy one just yet since it may not work, anyway.
Computer Specs

18-Nov-2007, 03:30 PM #7
here was the problem: i went into BIOS and set the raid setting to disabled and then the hard drive was recognized. viola. thank you much for your help!
Computer Specs

18-Nov-2007, 07:03 PM #8
So it was in the BIOS. Good job and thanks for the followup.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Nov-2007, 12:35 AM #9
Unhappy Same problem...different result

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem with an HP/Compaq nc6320 bought from an auction recently, and could really use some help.. this is definitely not a stolen machine...just a secure business laptop very legitimately acquired...but without anything other than the computer. No supporting disks...unfortunately.

I have no Raid setting option in my bios (that I'm aware of) so it's not so simple...

When I 1st received the computer Windows used to boot to the user and password entry point, but I had no password. I've tried to re-install windows from an OEM vsn but get the same "no HDD detected" message. The bios sees the drive fine.... so I "Disk Sanitised" the hard drive hoping that some security issue may be preventing me from re-installing....still no luck. "No HDD Detected"..

I've tried to find the drivers for my hard drive which is a Fujitsu model MhV2040BH ...but can't find them..it's been discontinued. Just for kicks I tried restarting the windows reinstall and saw the F6 option to install a driver (if I had one). When I pressed F6...nothing happened and the setup continued on. The next window said press F2 to run automated system recovery...which I can't do..

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

22-Nov-2007, 01:56 AM #10
May not need help afterall
The kind folks at HP helped me.

it was a setting in the bios called "SATA Native Mode" switched it to disable and it appears to be working!

Will be back if I develop further problems.

Gone Fishing
Computer Specs

22-Nov-2007, 01:58 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trout

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem with an HP/Compaq nc6320 bought from an auction recently, and could really use some help.. this is definitely not a stolen machine...just a secure business laptop very legitimately acquired...but without anything other than the computer. No supporting disks...unfortunately.

I have no Raid setting option in my bios (that I'm aware of) so it's not so simple...

When I 1st received the computer Windows used to boot to the user and password entry point, but I had no password. I've tried to re-install windows from an OEM vsn but get the same "no HDD detected" message. The bios sees the drive fine.... so I "Disk Sanitised" the hard drive hoping that some security issue may be preventing me from re-installing....still no luck. "No HDD Detected"..

I've tried to find the drivers for my hard drive which is a Fujitsu model MhV2040BH ...but can't find them..it's been discontinued. Just for kicks I tried restarting the windows reinstall and saw the F6 option to install a driver (if I had one). When I pressed F6...nothing happened and the setup continued on. The next window said press F2 to run automated system recovery...which I can't do..

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.
You will have much better luck if you start your own thread. In the first place, posting in someone else's thread is confusing. Secondly, this thread is solved so few people will look at it at all again.
Computer Specs

22-Nov-2007, 10:45 PM #12
wondering if you figured it out yet. if not, i might be able to help. it wasn't a "raid setting" exactly. it is a setting on the harddrive in the bios. one solution is to use a USB floppy drive with drivers to recognize your harddrive. BUT compaq bios does have an option you can change to have it recognize your HD. alas, as i am at my family's my research laptop is not with me so i can't tell you the exact bios setting i changed to get the HD to recognize... i'll be home later tonight if you are still having this issue.

22-Jul-2008, 05:00 PM #13
same error
Hy . i have same error with HDD . My windows xp sp2 dont found him . and , i dont have floppy disk . what can make for install xp ? now have vista, i dont like , and have all programs for xp . can help me ? i have Hp Compaq Presario c700
Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

22-Jul-2008, 05:05 PM #14
Maryus, I recommend you start another thread with your problem instead of piggybacking on an old thread. You are more likely to receive assistance that way.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!