Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

how to "Force" windows to copy the file in use by another program.

(!)

Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Dec-2007, 07:46 AM #1
Smile how to "Force" windows to copy the file in use by another program.
I am in windows XP pro. i have watch a online tv on internet explorer, than i know the file(movie file what i watch just now) *.tmp will temporay store at c:\document&setting\administrator\temp folder, my purpose is i really want to save that movie file to my harddisk, when i click on it and try to copy to my d: drive, than system not allow me to do that, because said this file is using by other application please try to close it and try again. but went i close that Internet explorer than this file *.tmp in side temp folder will automatically disapper also not inside the recycle bin. Whatever i already try to using command line to copy it still cannot, using xcopy/c command to copy also cannot, said error "sharing voilation"...

Please help me how to "Force" copy the file is being in use.

Thank you.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,544 posts.

Experience: Learning every day, and xpect to do so always :)
06-Dec-2007, 11:48 AM #2
try going to windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and try ending the program there 'cause it could still be running although you're not using it actively.

And, as far sa I know, you can't force copy while program's in use.
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

06-Dec-2007, 12:11 PM #3
You might want to look around for one of those programs designed to download online videos. One method I've seen for keeping those files is to pull the plug. Then it doesn't have time to be deleted and it is there when you restart. This is not a recommended method.

You could also try some alternative copy handlers. "Copy Handler", "KillCopy", and "SuperCopier2" (which I use in Vista) are all possibilities. Search for "copy handler".

This is something that can be done since drive imaging apps and others do it all the time, many using the Volume Shadow Copy Service.

Last edited by Elvandil; 06-Dec-2007 at 12:26 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!