Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Video card drivers won't install- I can't even reinstall the old ones!

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1,883 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Dec-2007, 10:22 AM #1
Solved: Video card drivers won't install- I can't even reinstall the old ones!
I am pulling my hair out here.

I want to update my video card drivers because my video card is acting up and I want to see if new drivers will fix it.

I printed out the instructions from ATI's site and followed it exactly. I used Add/Remove Programs and clicked on the ATI Software Uninstall Utility. I rebooted the computer. I went into Safe Mode. I tried to install the drivers.

Upon doing this, every time I run the setup to install the new drivers, I get this error message:

Quote:
"INF Error: Video Driver Not Found"
This happens if I try to install the latest Catalyst version. This happens if I try to install an older Catalyst version.

This even happens if I try to reinstall the drivers that I just had (it installed fine before so why is the 5.11s giving me that error now)!

I don't know why it's doing this. Like I said, I still get the error trying to reinstall something that installed fine in the past.

I had to do a System Restore to the restore point I made before I tried to update, and now I can use my computer somewhat.

What is wrong?!?
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Dec-2007, 10:24 AM #2
Try a different video card, sounds like this one is Kaput!
Senior Member with 1,102 posts.

Experience: Helped for a while !!!
22-Dec-2007, 10:25 AM #3
The onboard video driver Installed properly
Computer Specs
Member with 1,883 posts.

22-Dec-2007, 10:37 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrom1e View Post
Try a different video card, sounds like this one is Kaput!
I don't have a spare one lying around. Do I need to get Dell to replace this one? Is this a hardware issue instead of a software one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsland
The onboard video driver Installed properly
How do I do that?
Computer Specs

22-Dec-2007, 10:44 AM #5
I think that the video drivers that are being talked about here are located on the special driver disk that comes with the computer and this disk has all of the drivers like chpset drivers, buss drivers (No not the city buss drivers) audio, video etc. These drivers usually get installed immediately after installing windows.

On the video card if this card is an on-board built right into the motherboard then installing on in the PCI or AGP slot should automatically turn the on-board one off. You can borrow one from someone you know just to try it.

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,883 posts.

22-Dec-2007, 10:46 AM #6
I am running a Radeon 9800XT 256mb video card, which is in the AGP slot of my motherboard. I'm not using onboard video.

What is the error message telling me to do?

How could the 5.11s install fine before and not work now? I didn't change my system.
Computer Specs

22-Dec-2007, 10:50 AM #7
Try shutting down the PC and the remove the AGP card and re-install it to the same slot and while at it take a can of compressed air and use it to evacuate the AGP slot before installing the video card back into it. Then restart the computer and see if you can install the drivers.

22-Dec-2007, 10:52 AM #8
Have you got another video connector on your computer (the onboard m/b one)
If so, then you will need to follow ozrom1e post
Or provide motherboard info here
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

22-Dec-2007, 02:08 PM #9
Along with blowing out the Agp slot clean off the card where it plugs in carefully with some isopropyl alcohol and then be certain it is all the way back in the Agp slot when you put it back. If none of that works then the card is probably bad, and that card hasn't got a great shelf life to it either.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,883 posts.

24-Dec-2007, 07:21 AM #10
Drivers are now installed.

SOLUTION: Remove video card from Device Manager, reboot into VGA mode, install Catalyst 7.12 software suite, reboot into normal mode.

Now, I'm not sure if this will fix my game lockups, but at least the new drivers are installed.

24-Dec-2007, 07:51 AM #11
The VGA mode , was using generic drivers for your onboard video allowing you to install the add-on Video card

Following previous posts (here) you would have got to the same result
And you wouldn't have had any issues in the future (re-installing or updating your Video card)

There is still time to install your motherboard video drivers, but you have gone the wrong way around.

Possible future issues

Problem Solved
Computer Specs
Member with 1,883 posts.

24-Dec-2007, 08:17 AM #12
What motherboard video drivers?

I accomplished what I needed to accomplish and that was to install my Catalyst 7.12 drivers successfully. The way I ended up doing it worked, but I appreciate the help nonetheless.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!