Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't open Firefox: install problem

(!)

Member with 19 posts.

Experience: Slowing down...
02-Jan-2008, 05:51 PM #1
Can't open Firefox: install problem
Recently added an Add-on to my Firefox, which was working fine.. (in XPHome) but now it thinks there's another copy running... and won't open. WHAT HAVE I DID?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,584 posts.

Experience: I win some, I lose some!
02-Jan-2008, 05:59 PM #2
Hi!

What exactly won't open? Firefox, the page, the add-on?

Another copy of what? The add-on, firefox?

1. You can try and start Firefox in "safe mode" (I believe that's what it's called) - you can access it in the start menu (there should be two options listed under Mozilla Firefox - one of them will load firefox without the add-ons).

2. You can try to reinstall firefox.

3. You can try system restore (Start>All programs>Accessories>system tools>system restore)
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,030 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Jan-2008, 09:04 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granma281 View Post
Recently added an Add-on to my Firefox, which was working fine.. (in XPHome) but now it thinks there's another copy running... and won't open. WHAT HAVE I DID?
Right click the Status bar in an empty area and click Task Manager.
On the Applications tab, end all instances of Firefox.
If the problem happens again when you try to start FF, close it again with Task Manager and then Start>Programs>Mozilla Firefox>Mozilla Firefox(Safe Mode).
If it works OK, the Add-on you put in is the most likely culprit and should be uninstalled.
T.
Member with 19 posts.

02-Jan-2008, 11:40 PM #4
Question Safe Mode FF
Thanks for answering... but I did all that... still same result.
I feel this is a Windows problem... since the box has the graphic design of other Windows boxes I've seen.
I've Tried: uninstalling program (FF)
re-installing...
Opening FF in Safe mode..
Always Checking Task Manager to see if it shows up in that... no result.
What if I make a new user, and change my log in?
Computer Specs

03-Jan-2008, 11:00 AM #5
It could be a profile issue.
First thing to try would be unlocking the profile.
Click Start>Run. Type "%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles" without the "s. OK.
Open the default folder and find and delete the Parent.lock file.
Try starting FF in FF(safe mode).
T.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,173 posts.

Experience: intermediate ~ advanced
03-Jan-2008, 11:03 AM #6
this happens to me quite regularly but randomly. go into task manager and into the processes tab. there should be a proccess called "firefox.exe" and choose to end that proccess. should work?
Member with 19 posts.

06-Jan-2008, 02:12 PM #7
Thank you, Throoper... I did as you suggested, but there was NO default folder in the profiles!! With a lot of more experimenting.. I ran a Malware checker and discovered a nasty... deleting that has helped.. with a lot more cleanup.. and reinstalling it is now working OK.. Of course, I lost all my bookmarks.. but that may not be a bad thing! thanks again, all.
Computer Specs

06-Jan-2008, 03:23 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granma281 View Post
Thank you, Throoper... I did as you suggested, but there was NO default folder in the profiles!! With a lot of more experimenting.. I ran a Malware checker and discovered a nasty... deleting that has helped.. with a lot more cleanup.. and reinstalling it is now working OK.. Of course, I lost all my bookmarks.. but that may not be a bad thing! thanks again, all.
Glad it's working now.
If you want to try and get back the bookmarks, FF stores backups.
They are in a folder named Bookmarkbackups in the profile folder.
Only thing is, you say you didn't find the Default folder. I wonder if you went to the right profile folder.

One is under C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles. This is where cache info is stored. Not the one you want.

The other is C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\random characters.default
This is where all your main info is stored. Bookmarks and the backups, extensions, user chrome, etc.
That run command should have taken you one folder up from it.
You could search for localstore.rdf and you'll find 2. One in the Program files that's about 1KB and the one you would want in the Profile folder at about 28KB. Go to that folder and you'll find the bookmark backups. They should still be there as this folder doesn't get deleted on uninstall. Has to be done manually.
T.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!